Does Blight stay in the soil?

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Perhaps I didn't word the question correctly for the thread title, but I am wondering about how the soil affects blight from one year to the next.

I'm sure that has been covered here many times but not all the information is in one place. Thanks.

Salem, NY(Zone 4b)

Darius,

The word blight is often used by folks to indicate that their tomatoes have a disease, and in that way most folks see it as a general term, but there are a couple of specific diseases that have blight in the name.

Regardless, the major causes of foliage infections, which are the most common infections of tomatoes, would include Early Blight ( Alternaria solani), which can occur at any time of the season, Septoria Leaf Spot, Bacterial Speck and Bacterial Spot.

And all four of those fungi and bacteria can remain in the soil for up to several years after being shed from infected plants.

The systemic diseases of Fusarium and Verticillium, Late Blight ( P, infestans), which can occur at any time in the season, and Root Knot Nematodes and other systemic diseases, are really never eliminated from the soil.

So it's good to know what specific diseases you're calling "blight" so as to know what to expect and what you can or can't do about it. Because for some of them there are some remedies and preventive practices that can be used, while for others there aren't.

Carolyn

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Thanks, Carolyn. It won't be a problem for me as I plan to move next summer. I just hate to leave this place with a soil problem that I'm not sure about. Of course, who knows if the new owners will want tomatoes in their front yard anyway, LOL.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.