a gardening poem

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

look what i discovered today. i was viewing a connecticut gardener's website and she started off with this fun and oh so true poem, from her partners perspective. i'm posting it here and @ Garden Talk. enjoy!

She dug the plot on Monday-
The soil was rich and fine,
She forgot to thaw out dinner-
So we went out to dine...
She planted roses Tuesday-
She says they are a must,
They really are quite lovely,
But she forgot to dust...
On Wednesday it was daisies-
They opened up with the sun,
All whites and pinks and yellows-
But the laundry wasn't done...
The poppies came on Thursday-
A bright and cheery red,
I guess she really was engrossed-
She never made the bed...
It was violets on Friday-
In colors she adores,
It never bothered her at all-
All the crumbs upon the floors...
I hired a maid on Saturday-
My week is now complete,
My wife can garden all she wants-
The house will still be neat!
It's nearly lunchtime Sunday-
And I cannot find the maid,
Oh no! I don't believe it!
She's out there WITH THE SPADE!!!

Author Unknown

Lincoln City, OR(Zone 9a)

LOL Debi, I like it.

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

How funny! Boy, I'd love a maid like that!

Cuyahoga Falls, OH(Zone 5a)

Love it ! My house is never cleaned much during the summer. I wish I had a maid - or a cook ! Some days I wish I had a gardener too ! Or someone to clean up the leaves....or go to the grocery store.....the list could go on and on...

LOL HoneyGirl.

Recently I treated myself to a housekeeper for a day. It was wonderful to just stay ahead of her picking up and putting away stuff and not have to worry about how I was going to have the energy to clean let alone how I was going to get the floor swept and mopped. In five hours she cleaned my kitchen, bathroom, living room, dining room and spare bedroom. This included removing all my teapots and vases from above the kitchen cabinets and washing them, drying them and putting them back up. All this for only $50. She will be back soon for another day of it and from now on I will not let my house get the best of me.

Sorry to hyjack your thread Debi. I am just sooo happy about having a clean house for the first time in a couple of years.

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Boy, you got a DEAL with her, Lani. Merry Maids charged $120 for 2 hours work (a team of two women -- and they had to send out a second team because team #1 did a bad job!).

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

lani you lucky lady. that is being good to yourself. when we had our house on the market i merry maids or a similar type company come in weekly. well i had to stand by and watch them because, sure they would wash the floor but they wouldn't put any elbow grease into it and any scuff marks etc that were there, were there when they were done. and they gave you the "who do you think you are" look. i gave the "one whose paying your salary look" back. :)
i think i should take your good examples lani and gardenwife and find someone to come and clean.

lani and gardenwife you can hijack my threads any ol time. :) i'll just join in. :)

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Howie budgeted for it as a special occasion after the guys were all done working on the renovation of our basement -- there was that fine drywall dust upstairs, and it was just a mess. If I wanted to go get a part-time job, we could have someone in once a month or so...but what a trade-off! As much as I hate (or at least put off) housecleaning, it sure would be nice. I'm about done in after I spend a day doing even just dusting and vacuuming - sore, sore, sore.

I am sooo happy that you guys agree that I should treat myself this way. Makes it all the easier to justify my "treat". And I have already made arrangements to "treat" myself next week with my friend again. And Kim, I am NOT going to tell her how much you paid for the Merry Maid service NOR am I going to tell her about your experience Debi. LOL

I absolutely hate housekeeping but it seems a necessary evil of living on a farm with sheep, goats, 10 dogs, two cats, two horses and three calves plus the various assorted other critters that come through here. Thus from time to time I have to swab the decks and these decks get awfully dirty too. lol

Maben, MS(Zone 7b)

I hate housecleaning, also and it takes me forever to get anything done. I sweep the floor and have to sit and catch my breath before I mop it them sit and rest before starting anything else, but have learned DH can sweep and that is a big help. Dusting is the job I hate the most and I live on a gravel road and that is a job that needs to be done everyday. DH is always telling me to have someone come in once a month and clean but havn't yet.

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

yardbird,
you get someone. you have a supportive dh, that is wonderful. so many women don't have that. you go for it girlfriend and then come and tell us you did. :)

gardenwife, that drywall dust is the worst.

ponditis, we can all use you as a role model of taking care of yourself.

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Lani, enjoy it!

I use a shop-vac for my vacuum and much of my dusting. I get the bags made for fine dust like drywall dust, and have an attachement for hardwood floors. I need to get a new dusting attachment. I usually get the worst of the cat and dog hair with the shop-vac and then go around with a dust rag (one which the dust clings to - there's lots of kinds out there).

I should just pitch our old upright sweeper - it just puffs a great cloud of dust when I turn it on! The shop-vac seems to contain the dust and allergens fairly well. What I'd *really* love is a centra-vac installed, and have the electric powerheads for it.

But what I'd really, really love is a good monthly dig-down cleaning done by someone else!

I figure I don't drink, smoke, go to movies,don't spend a fortune on makeup and hair, don't buy clothes aside from jeans and tshirts, don't mess with other men, don't take drugs, don't cry about nothing, accept my DH the way he is with all his faults, accept myself for what I am but I don't have ANY faults, so I really deserve a housekeeper once in a while.

LOL :>) Lani

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

wow lani, you really are perfect. :) lol

I am spoiled but I am sure worth it. LOLOLOL And don't you ever tell him differently. ***snort snort***

I know I posted before, but since the weather has turned cold, I have been cleaning the inside of the house. Each room takes me at least two days to clean and polish. I am not happy. I didn't realise when I was playing in my flowers that my house was getting so dirty ! I printed the poem, and I am going to retype it and print it on pretty paper and frame it. I'm going to give it to my husband next spring.

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

I like your thinking, HoneyGirl. :)

Now, if I'd done much in my yard this year, I'd have an excuse for the house needing a really good cleaning...But I wasn't!

Awww Kim, who needs an excuse to avoid housework???

Honeygirl, I think your idea of printing the poem is great. And just think of the days you got pleasure in your garden this year while your house patiently waited for bad weather. They always seem to wait for us. At least mine does unless I hire it done. lol

Ponditis - You are absolutely right ! The dust and dirt waited for me ! And I do love being outside in the garden...

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

i read the poem to my dh and he laughed, god bless him. he would much rather see me outside and enjoying whatever i can do physically than doing things like housework which i hate. sometimes i wish i was one of those people that liked housework, but then again...........?????? lol

When people actually say they "like housework" I get the feelings that they don't know how to LIVE. I don't say this to offend anyone but it is my take on this subject. Life is too short to spend a lot of time in the house cleaning up after yourself and others. I am all for the 10 minute bathroom cleaning and then get on with life! I spend as little time as I can get away with doing housework. Then I have to do a scramble to get it caught back up when the weather turns bad OR we have a bunch of club members over for a bar-b-que. *snort, snicker*

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Yeah, or when Thanksgiving's coming up...Groan!

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

oh ladies i say "shoot". if folks can't understand that illness slows one down to not eating off the floor clean, then to heck with them. they'll most likely be happy to see a home that sn't perfect and be grateful that they don't have to be the perfect "housewife" too.

Debi, I have NEVER told anyone that I was perfect because I am not but it sure is nice to have some of it cleaned up before a LARGE group of people come. That way I can relax and enjoy my visiting and not wonder what they are thinking of me and my laziness because I am not so ill that I can't do it if I put my mind to it. I just don't claim to have a mind right now. LOL

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

lol lani you crack me up.

Well, you take care of a 90 plus year old on a daily basis plus care for farm animals and have your vehicle stolen and have your vehicle found with a blown engine, and do police reports, and take care of a 90 plus year old, and do shopping for two households, and do the housekeeping for same two households, and take care of a 90 year old on a daily basis, and go to three therapy sessions a week, and have major surgery, and take care of a 90 year old on a daily basis, and did I tell you that I take care of my Mother who is almost 91??? Then you tell me where my mind is????

HELLLOOOOOO MIND?????? WHERE ARE YOUUUUU?????????

OMG I really can't find it. HELPPPP

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

lol lol i'm still laughing you crazy lady! i think i saw your mind on cnn highlight news report. they told everyone that your mind is missing and asked folks to call 1-800-no brains, if they see it. so hang in there, help is on the way.

They seem to have not been able to find my brain because it is such a unique one. They have posted an ad for my brains though.
My ad says:
wanted, dead or alive, Brain that is Big, blond and buxom with a pinch of satire and some puns for good measure. Just because it is big doesn't mean it is full of ideas.

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

good news lani, i just got a call from america's most wanted. they are stopping by today to find out more about your story. they should be up to talk to you, your mom and dh in a day or two. so you just hang in there girl.

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Ha!

Mom doesn't have much of a brain left and my DH has had a stroke and doesn't know squat either so AMW will be hard pressed to find my brain. Waaaaaaa

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

Just had to bring this up. Is'nt it time for a good chuckle.

I wonder where these lovely people are now.

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

I love a blast from the past!

Lani, you still treating yourself to that cleaning every so often? We've never had anyone in since that wonderful Merry Maids rescue. Oh, I wish!

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Oh. how funny! I would be too embarrassed for Merry Maids to see my house.

St. Louis County, MO(Zone 5a)

When I was applying for disability, someone to clean was the #1 reason. My sweet neighbor comes over once a week for 2 hours. She has 2 little boys and was going to try to find a part time job to help with the bills. I convinced her that she would make more by cleaning for cash. It helps me, but more importantly, it keeps my husband from having to do so much. He finally admitted he likes having her come over. Do it - worth every penny. Now if I could find someone to do laundry....

BTW, I just love the poem.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

I don't have any sweet neighbors.

Lena, MS(Zone 7b)

great poem I need to copy it down for hubby to read he will agree that is the way of things here as well. I need a neighbor or maid service too. I have stopped cleaning the old house and waiting until we move in new one then maybe I will enjoy keeping new one clean but if hubs does not hurry I will have to hire help to dig my way out of here.LOL.

Lawrenceville, GA(Zone 7b)

That should be the theme for my life! ;) LOL This time of the year, you could actually probably grow plants on the kitchen floor, it needs to be mopped so bad.
Thanks for sharing this with all of us. I just love it!

Susan

Thibodaux, LA(Zone 9a)

I hate housework. I would love to have a maid come over and clean my house. I am too embarrass to have someone come clean it. I like working in my garden. I can spend all day working in it. My Dh and I love a clean house. But after doing garden work all day, I am too tired and ache to do housework. I prefer doing something that motivates me.. gardening does.. housework don't. My priorities should be house cleaning first. I guess, I need balance. LOL. Maybe, I need to be free, and not worry about little things like an unkept house, and enjoy my beautiful garden. :)

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Hey, VanGarden (and everybody), we have a screen name = real name thread on this forum, just let me know.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1103477/

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.