Hi from my Atlanta Highrise: A Modern Day Cliffdweller

Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

I'm just getting started after a 25 year break from gardening in Maine.

I am unable to keep up with my old hobbies of computers, computer games, genealogy, history and anthropology because of a medical condition that is called Dysthymia (neurotic depression). Neurotic in the medical sense refers to excessive anxiety.

Gardening should be good therapy for me and I'm hoping that it will help me to heal my Anhedonia which is the inability to derive pleasure from things formerly found pleasureable and in my case is one of the problems associated with my Dysthymia.

They have only been able to diagnose Dysthymia for about the past eight years and my form of it is hereditary. I have made progress with my medical condition from the meds that they are giving me but because of my being diagnosed forty years or so after initial onset, I'm not expected to make a full recovery. What I have is a medical condtion, a bio-chemical imbalance in my brain and I am being treated with meds and not therapy.

I've just moved into a nice new appartment on the 9th floor of a highrise in Atlanta, Georgia and my circumstances and condtion have improved enough for me to go ahead a get a life working around my disability.

They will start renovating my balcony/patio in about three months and so I won't be doing much gardening out there until spring.

I spend almost 24/7 at home and much of the time I'm unable to do much intellectual activity even though my intelligence is intact. I expect that my plants will be a major part of my life from now on.

I don't feel sorry for myself. There are many folks much worse off than I am. I have many friends that have really been there for me. It's good for me to talk about it because that is part of my accepting it and moving on with my life.

My grow light with legs arrived last week and is just the right size to live on top of my refrigerator which I understand is a great place to start seeds.

I ordered a self-watering seed propagator with a dome that will fit under my grow light today.

I sent a SASE to one of the members here for some Chive seeds and they will probably be my first undertaking from seed.

I only have two plants and a few seeds at the moment. My journal will idenify those for you if you care to take a look.

I also have an IRC channel on the DALnet called #HowDoesYourGardenGrow. After you load your IRC software just type /server misc-e.dal.net then type /join #HowDoesYourGardenGrow

I'm there most nights from around 10 PM ET until Midnight. I hope to get some ops that will help me to run the channel but don't ask me for ops. I'll do the asking when I feel comfortable.

If you don't have IRC (Internet Relay Chat) check out: http://www.geocities.com/~mirc for my choice.

Knoxville, TN(Zone 7a)

Greetings Rett1950, I hope that you enjoy your membership at Dave's Garden. You are correct that gardening is great therapy and it is my wish that you will find a sense of peace through gardening.

You will find the Daves folks to be supportive and friendly. And whether you garden a little or a lot, there are forums for your interests. Welcome aboard! Nat

Newark, OH(Zone 5a)

Welcome aboard. You will find a great bunch of people here. I don't know what me and Gardenwife would do with out DG. This is are home away from home.

Welcome, Rett1950. As Howie says, this place is like a home away from home!

Crossville, TN

Welcome Rett...it was nice meeting you in chat last night. You should consider attending the GA Round Up in about 2 weeks...it will be lots of fun...just like ours was in KY. Jo

Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

rett - welcome to daves garden from your norhern neighbor in new york. this site will keep you busy and the pople are very nice and they know alot about everything.

Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Hiya to nathalyn, Howie, whiterose, roadrunner( meep, meep...saw you enter and exit chat very quickly :D ) and HERBIE43.

Many thanks for the Warm Welcome.

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Welcome from a NC mountains lover... formerly from Hotlanta!

Bensenville, IL(Zone 5a)

WELCOME RETT!!! Denise

Harlem, GA(Zone 8a)

Hi RET!!!!! Welcome to Dave's Garden, where everyone makes you feel as if youre their neighbor. I'm just starting out gardening myself, just joined Ret, and Ive made alot of friends as I know you will too :-) Yes, the Georgia Round Up is October 18 of this month and Viola needs to have $5 per person by the 8th of October. This will be my first time to meet everyone so you wont be alone. Go to the Round Up forum and look for GA round up for details. I am your neighbor too btw :-) In Harlem, GA which is 2 hours from Atlanta. I hope you just love it in Atlanta being that you were from Maine. I like to visit Atlanta, but it's too fast for this Country girl :-)
Great having ya RET!!!!!

Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Annabellegabby,

I probably won't make it to the roundup because I'm pretty much house boound but it was nice of you to say hello and to include me. Keep in touch...I love Atlanta and love having visitors.

Later

Harlem, GA(Zone 8a)

You bet Rett!!! Glad to have you with us :-) I think I can speak for everyone at Dave's Garden. Have fun :-)

Barnesville, GA(Zone 8a)

Hello Rhett!
Another welcome from a fellow Georgian, sorry you can't join us at the RU, but you will be seeing us soon in the RU Pictures forum! Enjoy DG!

Vi

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Hi Rett!! Yeah I know, we've already said Hi in chat a few times. LOL I wanted to say Hi and Welcome anyway. I'm pretty much the seed Queen and no they are not bad seeds. LOL If there is something you think you might like to grow, let me know. My lists are completely out of date so just send me a request if you think of something. Nice to have you at Dave's!!
Michele

Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Thanks for the OFFICIAL welcome. :)

My dear your lists are a mess but mine will probably end up as bad. lol

Your offer is very generous.

I get so confused and am not sure of what I want. I have been obsessing over finding a couple of green arabica coffee beans and I'm going to be looking for some Romaine Lettuce seeds, cherry tomato seeds and green pepper seeds but I'm not in a real hurry for them. I have a few jiffy pots and am going to start about three chives next week some time and hopefully they won't get too big before I can get soil and a pot after November 1st.

I have my grow light and my self-watering, domed seed propagator is on the way. I've been focusing mainly on gathering my tools but have already run out of extra money this month because I had to replace my computer monitor. That's probably a good thing because I'd probably buy more stuff than I could deal with right now if I had more to spend. lol

This is a great forum and I'm really enjoying the constant interaction with members. Everyone seems very nice, friendly and helpful.

Thanks again. :)

This message was edited Oct 3, 2003 4:21 PM

Frederick, MD(Zone 6a)

Welcome Rett from Frederick, MD !

Shalimar, FL(Zone 8a)

Hey, Rett! A big hug from NW Fl! Your neighbor to the S! Hope you enjoy the time you spend here and all the good folks you'll meet! Jen

Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Thanks for the welcome, Jen!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.