First orchid and clueless!

Columbia Falls, MT(Zone 4a)

I have just been given my first orchid. I don't know anything about orchids and would like to learn. My orchid has yellow flowers that almost look like delicate little dresses! (kinda) I don't like the green plastic pot it is in and would like to know if I can repot it into another container. The one I have in mind does not have drain holes in the bottom though... I really don't see any dirt and there are roots coming out the bottom and top of the plastic pot it is in.
Will this continue to bloom or do I need to do anything special to keep it alive through the winter? I really am clueless here in Montana regarding Orchids!
Will post a picture later if anyone cares to see it.
Thanks in advance for any help!
Connie

A photo would be helpful as there are goodness knows how many orchids out there and different types grow in almost every country in the world.

You can repot but I'd wait until the flowers are done, don't worry too much about the roots coming out, they generally perform better when the roots are restricted. It sounds to me as if you have an epiphytic orchid, these grow in trees and therefore need a different growing medium to soil.

When you have your photo here I'm sure we can tell you much more about your plant :)

Kylertown, PA(Zone 5b)

Sounds like some type of oncidium?

Orlando, FL(Zone 9b)

Sounds like maybe oncidium to me, too, but without a picture... Most orchids like moisture/humidity and many folks either mist their orchids regularly or they place the pot on top of a tray of pebbles with some water in it (not enough that the pot sits in water, though!) I definitely would wait until it's done blooming to repot. And you definitely want to have a pot with drainage in it. Most orchids want plenty of air circulation around the roots. I use either the wood crate-like hanging planters or clay orchid pots. The type of orchid will dictate the actual planting medium (either fine, medium, or coarse bark or peat moss are the most common I've seen), the lighting requirments, moisture requirements, etc.

Columbia Falls, MT(Zone 4a)

I don't know where time goes... it seems like only yesterday when I posted here and now it most likely is too late to post a picture cause all my little flowers have all droped off. I waited too long. ( I was actually out of town for a while and though I meant to take a picture sooner I simply let other things get in the way!)
Don't give up, I will post a picture in the hopes that someone will still be able to name that orchid!
Thanks to all for responding to my questions.
I guess I can get ready to repot it now, since it has definately stopped blooming :-)
Will check in later!
Connie

Orlando, FL(Zone 9b)

Connie, sometimes you can tell what kind of orchid just from the leaves. I would still take a picture now and post it, even if it isn't blooming.

Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

I have been keeping a poor Orchid alive for about a year. It was a plant from Lowes. I purchased it on 90% off (or some crazy price for a mostly dead flower). However, she's still going. It has not bloomed but it's no wonder. I took it from the soil in July and planned on repotting but instead it sat in a glass with water. Well, she now has lots of roots at the top of a long, dead stalk with 2-4 leaves. The stalk is rotting and I need to do something - but what? The stalk is about 12" long and now rotting midway up. But the leaves, with lots of roots, at the top of the stalk, look very healthy.

Is there any hope for this very determined flower?

Tellico Plains, TN(Zone 7b)

I know absolutely nothing about orchids yet,BUT I am almost positive that your plant is rotting because it is in water and this will kill most orchids as far as I have read.???
A commercial Orchid growing medium is a mixture of potting bark,perlite and horticultural charcoal.
I would cut off EVERY TRACE of rot and plant the growing rooted part in this. IMHO
SB
Cut off all rot down to healthy tissue or the rotting process will continue. Good Luck My Garden Friend >^,,^< SB

This message was edited Oct 27, 2003 6:15 PM

Jackson, GA(Zone 7a)

SB is right most orchids are epiphytic(they don't grow in the ground).Another idea would be to put your plant in an open basket with moss and mist it twice a day.

Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Thanks SB and BD. I'll go by Lowes and get the potting mix and try to mist also. It must be a very strong willed plant so she may survive.

THANKS

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.