Canna You Help?

Tellico Plains, TN(Zone 7b)

Ok,just bought some potted cannas,now how do I prepare them for winter storage?
Thanks,
.....shirley >^,,^< SB

Albany (again), NY(Zone 5b)

This is some helpful information:

http://www.extension.umn.edu/distribution/horticulture/DG1117.html

But, it pertains to outdoor plants. Are you intending to keep it potted all winter?

They are for my garden.I just found them at HD for 75% off;-).
......Just don't know if I store them in the cellar do I let them Stay in the pots or take them out and clean em? I always wanted canna and just got some seeds for next season but this tropicana canna really caught my eye.
Thanks,
SB

Toadsuck, TX(Zone 7a)

SB, take them out of the soil, dust them with a fungicide, wrap in newspaper and store in a cool dry place.

"eyes"

Ty "eyes"....
shirley >^,,^< SB

Scooter, just a bit of one year experience here with cannas. ( I am new to this forum and reading around ~my one just finally bloomed~!) ...All above is right-on, follow it. BUT in the event it ever gets frozen, leaves to the ground, in the spring transplant to a sunny place and water daily, you should have it back and flowering by end of July. Do not give up on it or toss it out...This happened to me this year: I left the hose on mist, fell asleep and that night it froze, I thought I had lost a fern and my Canna.
In spring, I dug them both upreplanted in a place of afternoon sun with loads of water by the hose outlet and they came back. It was in the 20's that night they froze from my forgetfulness...both came back, that was the happy ending -and my canna opened today, it is a Tropicana too.
Cheers
:Darren

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.