September flowers

Baker City, OR(Zone 5b)

I enjoyed the August flowers thread so much I thought we should do it again. So, here you see what is blooming in my yard on Sept. 25. We are still having some 80 degree days and nights in the mid to low 30's. We have missed two frost predictions and the next one is about 5 days away they say. So far so good! This is some petunias and alyssum that do best on the sunny end of the bed. The big shrub in the background is a lilac.

This message was edited Sep 26, 2003 12:21 AM

Thumbnail by MaryE
Baker City, OR(Zone 5b)

Hollyhocks seeded themselves into a bed with overcrowded iris and a few other things. Some of the coneflowers are still blooming along with some bee balm, annual phlox and blue queen salvia. To the left you see an area that will be part of the flower beds as soon as I get the time and energy to make a lasagna bed. I'd better hurry, winter will be here before I know it and I have plants that have spent too long in their pots that need root space.

This message was edited Sep 26, 2003 12:48 AM

Thumbnail by MaryE
Baker City, OR(Zone 5b)

The beginning of a beauty spot, we dug a ditch to bury a waterline and so I bought some mums. Next year they should make a big patch.

Thumbnail by MaryE
Baker City, OR(Zone 5b)

Huchura (sp?) is the reddish plant in the background. Some of these pansys overwintered, I added the ones with the purple faces, the I've forgotten the name of the silvery thing, it has leaves like little pine needles. I have 2 of these half barrels, the other is about the same but I used dusty miller in that. I like the contrasts. These get morning sun and afternoon shade.

Thumbnail by MaryE
Baker City, OR(Zone 5b)

This one is a bit out of focus due to the wind today, the blue is aster, just starting to bloom, the low maroon and yellow are snapdragons.

Thumbnail by MaryE
Bensenville, IL(Zone 5a)

MaryE, This looks nice especially for sept. I have petunias, their in pots though and have died off already, do they do better in the ground and you definitely believe they enjoy plenty of sun? Denise

Baker City, OR(Zone 5b)

The bed with petunias and alyssum was a new planting space this year. You can see the plants get smaller as you look to the right. The one in the shade is also a petunia (puny and unhappy with way too much shade), the alyssum on that end don't even bloom. I'll post a pic of my petunia barrel that gets afternoon sun, there are 9 plants in it. The blooms look fuzzy because of the wind making them wiggle.

Thumbnail by MaryE
OC, CA & Twin Lakes , IA(Zone 4b)

Mandevilla Lady DuPont and blacked eyed susan vine still blooming in Sept.

Thumbnail by TwinLakesChef

More Vines; don't know the name of the one on the left; on the right is "Maypop" Passiflora incarnata aka passion flower (still blooming)

Sweet Autumn Clematis and Porcelain Berry Vine

Lantana Dallas Red and Chives

Creeping Lantana

This bed with the Dusty Miller in the front; Sweet Cream Marigold; and the double peach/yellow hollyhock

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

I love these, still blooming in late September: Gaura lindheimeri 'Siskiyou Pink' and Gaura lindheimeri 'Dauphin', commonly called whirling butterflies. They really do look like that when there is a slight breeze.

There are mums behind and to the right of the birdbath which should bloom soon.

Thumbnail by darius

Some yellow cannas still in bloom, with a small blooming buddleia in front. On the fence in the background is hyacinth bean vine, blooms and pods.

Thumbnail by darius

My hyacinth bean vine is drying up and gone South . . .evidently to Asheville

You are too funny, TLC!

My hyacinth bean vine didn't do well this year (I don't remember if it was a late start) and has put out few flowers. I guess we all have had a bit of unusual weather this year.

Mine does have a ton of pods; it was the only plant in the yard that got riddled by bugs.

I drug it into the garage as we have frost coming Monday; at this point just want all the seed for trade.

TLC, wouldn't the seed pods be okay after the frost? Mine are nowhere near to drying on the vine.

Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5a)

I have Moonbeam Coreopsis and the last of my Blackeyed Susans.

Thumbnail by Wandasflowers

The shorter Mums are going into full force now.

Malva Zebrina will go until a hard frost. I have seeds if anyone wants some.

Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

This was taken at dusk so it's a little dark and fuzzy. Planted this entire bed on May 25th. Was a patch of sod just 4 months before. This was taken on Sept 20th.

Edited to add plant names: Weigela, petunias, vinca, cosmos, butterfly bush, verbena, mock orange (far right end).

This message was edited Sep 26, 2003 9:36 PM

Thumbnail by langbr
Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

some better pics closer up

Thumbnail by langbr
Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

Cosmos and a few buddleia blooms

Thumbnail by langbr
Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

Buddleia 'Nanho Blue'

Thumbnail by langbr
Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

Verbena 'Blue Princess'

Thumbnail by langbr

darius, you probably know better than me about seed collecting; this is my first year; just learning; will collect about anything but most people tell me that most seed has to mature on the plant. I'll probably be out there collecting seed with snow up to my knees.

Wanda, that Malva Zebrina is very tempting. I want to look it up before I start begging for seeds. Want to be sure there will be a place where I can tuck them!

langbr,
you have done a wonderful job on that wall. Don't you just detest the approaching cold weather. Will some of those things come back next year?

Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

Twin-Definitely the buddleia and verbena will. The Cosmos and Vinca I'm hoping will reseed. The petunias are a one season show. Weigela and mock orange are apparently destined to become 6-ft+ so I didn't plan too well on those. Thinking I might move the Weigela to a property border bed I have lots of shrubs and bushes in. If I do I'll have one big hole to fill in!!

Baker City, OR(Zone 5b)

Langbr, I like the combination of the blues and the cosmos. It looks like you are off to a good start. Try some dusty miller with those colors, they will really light up, (accidental discovery!)

Some annuals blooming by the fence--newer bed...

Another view of another bed. my favorite annuals--Zinnias & Cleomes---will bloom right up to frost (this week)

Blue Springs, MO(Zone 5b)

Loved looking at everyone's Sept Gardens - Langbr, what fun to KNOW you!! Your gardens are gorgeous - this is soooo sad frost is coming tonight, I don't even wanna LOOK in the morning - boo hoo!!! I'll have to take some pics tomorrow if they make it, I have lots blooming still too! :)

Baker City, OR(Zone 5b)

Asters are really making a show in my flower beds, gotta get a picture to show you. The mums are comming on nicely too, maybe we should call it October flowers instead of September....

East Barre, VT(Zone 4a)

Well, this picture might have technically been taken at the very end of August, but close enough. I figure since frost has killed everything this far north, it would be nice to see some flowers again! You are seeing mostly annuals here, but I've got perennial blanket flowers, helen's flowers, hollyhocks, blueberries and others. I'd have to look at all the pics. This bed was hayfield in May!

This message was edited Oct 9, 2003 5:44 PM

Thumbnail by leisurlee
Jacksonville, IL(Zone 5a)

I had a beautiful stump left from a dead redbud in the front yard. I wanted to highlight it, so I bought some mums to plant around it. When I was getting the soil ready the part in the middle of the stump where the tree had been hollow for years had the most wonderfully black dirt! They are so small you don't notice them from the street unless you know where to look, but I am enjoying them.

Thumbnail by roshana
Newcastle, ON(Zone 5a)

Lovely photo Roshana.
Here are some of my mums in bloom.

Thumbnail by Starzz

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.