Help with locust tree suckers

Clarksville, TN(Zone 6b)

Hello all..... Can anyone give advice on how to rid my yard of locust tree suckers? I had the tree cut down about a year ago. Now I find these nasty, thorny suckers growing rampant. I cut them back or try to pull them up, but it seems that 10 more take it's place. Now there are some coming up about 15 yards from the original tree. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.....Thanks in advance

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

Boy I hope someone has the answer to Celeste1's locust problems as I have the same problem. My locust was a golden leafed one, i forget exactly which one. Now the darned sprouts are coming up everywhere in my flowers. I have the same problem with the 35 poplars that i had cut down and chipped up last fall. Terrible root systems. Donna

Minneapolis, MN(Zone 5a)

Your best defense is to keep the suckers removed from the root system. Once the root system has been depleted of all its food reserves the suckers will stop. This will be a daunting task, but is necessary since the suckers are making food for the root system and if you let them survive you will end up with even more root suckers.

You can "paint" a brush-killer onto the root suckers to help slow their production.

Sorry, but there is no "easy, quick-fix" for this problem.
Good luck,
Mike

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.