dutchmans pipevine

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

My aristolochia, or dutchman's pipevine has bloomed all summer with one flower after another. The blooms are huge, larger then my hand. However, with all the blooms, I only got one seed pod. Is there a secret to pollinating these flowers?

Thumbnail by rylaff
Saucier, MS(Zone 8b)

Rylaff,

I have Dutchman pipe, white with dark spots. Mine has also bloomed all summer, so far I have picked 3 dry pods & 3 green pods still on vine. With all my
blooms I should of had more seeds. Maybe all the rain we have had on the Mississippi Gulf
Coast. I am really disappointed
in the number of seed pods too.

Honeybee

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

Wow, Rylaff, that is a beautiful plant!

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

Rylaff, I even tried hand pollinating and not much success that way either. I have two unrelated A. gigantea plants, thought that would help. Didn't matter, still no seeds. Mine are still loaded with flowers and I keep hoping they will set a few pods.
My A. elegans sets all kinds of pods, but not the gigantea.

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

This is another beauty. My vine was huge but the move killed it so will try again next spring.

Jackson, SC(Zone 8a)

i had one this summer. it bloomed once and thats it. no other blooms just foliage. i might try to over winter it and see what happens. i think it was the rain. bad summer for flowers.

Jones Creek, TX(Zone 9a)

From what I have read on this, it needs a least 4 Hr's of sunlight to bloom...Information on this plant seems to be scarce so I havn't found enough to answer any of my questions... Anyone have links to info on this plant? I am intrested in growing this if I can get it to Flower, but don't want just leaves...got enough of them already...

after thought:

maybe we need ants for this one to polinate??.. LOL :o)

Jackson, SC(Zone 8a)

well i got plenty of ants. they are on one of my mgs at the moment. maybe they will help it bloom. i got plenty of greenery too. hehe

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Rylaff,
You are really starting to tick me off! LOL I think we need the forums split by zone so us with zone envy cannot see stuff like this! Gorgeous plant but I didn't admit to that. :)

Needville, TX(Zone 9a)

No, I think it is pollinated by flies......
http://gardenbed.com/source/7/654_cul.asp

Needville, TX(Zone 9a)

This is a cut and paste that I extracted from a cyber-book..

The Dutchman's Pipe has a tubular leaf that wraps around its flower. This leaf is coated with wax. Certain insects are attracted by the strong odor of the flower and land on the leaf. As soon as an insect does, it slides down its slippery sides into a chamber at the bottom. There, the ripe stigmas receive the pollen that the insect brought with it, and pollination takes place.

Three days then pass by with the insect trapped by hairs near the bottom and the wax farther up the sides. After that, the flower's own pollen ripens—and dusts the insect. As soon as that happens, the imprisoning hairs wilt and the waxed slide of the funnel—like flower bends over until it is nearly level. The insect now walks out with his supply of pollen—and flies off to do it again. One might think that the insect could starve living like that, but all the while it is inside the flower it is feeding on a feast of stored nectar.

http://evolution-facts.org/2evlch12.htm

Jones Creek, TX(Zone 9a)

Well I never.... good going Moon...glad you found that link..I looked all morning and found nothing...
It sure could be flies,LoL...does the flower STINK?

Needville, TX(Zone 9a)

I personally don't know - maybe someone will help clue us in??....lol...

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

I just went out and smelled mine. It has a scent, but it is not strong and it does not smell bad. Wouldnt make perfume out of it, but it wasnt bad.

Needville, TX(Zone 9a)

I read that some have a scent like "rotten meat" but it did not specify which ones tho - obviously it is not yours rylaff....lol....thank goodness because your variety is very pretty.

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

It smells faintly of lemons, not unpleasant.

Jones Creek, TX(Zone 9a)

How good, I really don't like "stinky" flowers. LoL have something so pretty and go stick your nose in it and fall out.....LOLOLO "No Thanks"........ :O)

Covington, LA(Zone 8b)

I grew aristolochia grandiflora last summer. Stunning flowers in every way. You couldn't stand to stay around them.I knew it was tender but didn't even TRY to save it. Just enjoy the pictures!

Thumbnail by Flicker
Needville, TX(Zone 9a)

Wow Flicker - I WAS gonna get this variety.......

Jones Creek, TX(Zone 9a)

Stunning flower Flicker, did it smell that bad?.. :o)

Saucier, MS(Zone 8b)

Flicker,

I planted mine outside 3 years
ago, it never bloomed & I forgot about it. I was so surprised this spring when I saw
something growing with my Moon
Vine, did not know what it was, until it bloomed

Honeybee

Covington, LA(Zone 8b)

It is a fantastic flower but does smell like rotting meat. One day I was at a little antique shop and saw the most adorable flowers on a small vine. There were lots of roots all along the stem so I liberated a couple of pieces. Whoa!!! What a bad smell! I planted it at the back of my property. It has taken a while to find it, but the vine is Pheaderia, a Japanese beauty. But more rotting meat smell.

Thumbnail by Flicker
Saucier, MS(Zone 8b)

Flicker,

That is a beauty, but I like
sweet scents. Can't go the
rotten smell, it make me think
of snakes (some snakes you smell
before you see).

Honeybee

Jones Creek, TX(Zone 9a)

Honeybee I'm so glad you said that, my hubby thinks I'm a little looney because I can smell a snake anywhere around me.. I start looking around and he starts backin up....I've proved my "smellin ability" more than once. He's just never met anyone else that can smell um..... LOL

Anyway, not to ignore the post these are beautiful flowers weather they smell bad or not. Flicker they are really pretty and I'm sure you admire them alot even if it is at a distance..I sure do.....LOL

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.