Moving a Japanese Maple

chattanooga, TN(Zone 7b)

I'll be having some construction work done in my yard in a few days and unfortunately, my five-year-old Japanese Maple will be in the way.

Is there ever a good time to move the maple? What are some precautions I should take? Recommendations are more than welcome!

Thanks.

Peggy

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

Wether itis a good time or not, if it is in the way you must move it. I am surely not an authority on maples. But in your area I would think that now is a pretty good time to move. Just try to get as big a root ball as you can manage. have your new hole dug first and place the maple in the hole. Water well and pray. Donna

Lincoln City, OR(Zone 9a)

Fall is a perfect time to move a tree. Move it before it gets too cold and it will have time to establish some roots before winter hits. When you dig that root ball wrap it in a tarp or a sheet or blanket so you don't lose much soil from around it. Then have some strong men lift it to the new hole that is already dug. Water well and a root stimulator that you can buy at a local nursery would be very good for it. Keep it watered (and deeply) for at least two to three years after the transplantation. Good Luck!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.