When is a tree too sick to help

Winchester, VA(Zone 6b)

We moved in with a silver maple in trouble. We have
put an enzyme treatment in but it might be too late.

How do you know? It looks bad - I would take a picture
but we are in the middle of a hurricane

the bark is falling off and the leaves are all brown.
I hope it doesn't come down tonight in the high winds.

When do you just give up hope?

Minneapolis, MN(Zone 5a)

Well, since it is a silver maple, I would let nature take its course and not do anything to save the tree.

Silver maple (Acer saccharinum) is a shallow-rooted, fast-growing, weedy tree with weak-wood. There are much better maple trees to plant than a silver maple. People plant silver maples because they grow so fast, but they are not a long-lived tree, in most cases.

If it were my tree, I wouldn't spend another dime trying to save the tree. Look at it as an opportunity to plant a really nice tree that can be enjoyed for generations to come.

Ginkgos are nice trees that can live for 1000 years or more, but they are slow growing in their youth.

Bur oak, Quercus macrocarpa, is fairly fast growing while young, putting on 2' a year. The quintessential "spooky old tree"; bur oak is a long lived (400 years plus), strong-wooded tree with great ridged bark, even on small branches. No fall color to speak of but it looks great the other 11.5 months of the year. Drought tolerant when established, bur oak lives in almost all soils except those that are permanently wet.
My .02
Mike

Lincoln City, OR(Zone 9a)

Mike is right that a silver maple is a shorter lived tree and yours may just be on its way out. I would assume that and not waste any more time and effort on this tree. Take it out and research the longer lived trees that are available. Ask at a reputable local nursery about trees and you may just find someone who will give you good advice on what trees are good for your area. Also you could call your University Extension Service and talk to the county agent about what is good for the area.

If you are determined to try to save your tree, then ask the county agent to look at the tree for you or to recommend a tree expert in your area.

Good luck!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.