Green ball in progress

OSAKA, Japan(Zone 9b)

Soleirolia soleirolii@is very attractive groundcover.
It spread like a mat. I am making a green ball utilizing its habit . I am using four plants .
The ball is still in progress.

September,2003

Thumbnail by Tomtom
Jones Creek, TX(Zone 9a)

TomTom What did you use for the container...this really looks so nice and neat...I may use this in the entry to my yard...like one on each side of the drive...So pretty... :o)

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

That's looking great! What size is the ball?

OSAKA, Japan(Zone 9b)

I started making this in June. Will you please take a look at its pic taken in July, WW?

For the container I used two wire baskets, the top one placed upside down. they were fixed with wire and lined.

Inside the ball is soil, and dried moss covers the outside. The ball is tied up with thread.

I put four Soleirolias on top. Just remember,WW,that this plant loves moist soil and half shade.

``™``™``™``™``

The ball is at the moment about 35cm across,darius.

Thumbnail by Tomtom
Jones Creek, TX(Zone 9a)

Thanks Tom, I have a couple of wire baskets I was going to put Boston fern in..Now I guess they will be used for something else......thanks for the information.... :o)

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

Tomtom, that is so cool! In the early picture it looks like you have 4 distinct colors and in the latest picture the plants all look the same color. What's up?

Harrisville, MI(Zone 5b)

TT,Just because I am not posting,do not think,I am not drooling on each one!!!!!!!!

Simply amazing!!!!!!!

OSAKA, Japan(Zone 9b)

NoH2OAYou said it! Actually I planted 2greens,1 lime, and 1 silver first.In the course of time lime has turned greenish . On top of it there might have been a matter of lighting . I hasten to add the newest picture of the top I've just taken.

``™``™``™``™
rootdoctor,thanks a lot for your habitual succinct comment.

Thumbnail by Tomtom
North Vancouver, BC(Zone 8b)

As usual, your creations are perfect. This is stunning.
Can I ask what you do with your plantings during the winter?

Jones Creek, TX(Zone 9a)

TomTom, did you get any damage from the storm? Is everything OK there?

I heard 7.8 earthquake. We even had a tsunami warning here because of it. Is everything well with you Tomtom?

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

I just love it. What is that tray it is sitting on? It makes it so special!

OSAKA, Japan(Zone 9b)

Thank you,Liz and WW for your concern.
The quake struck the northernmost of Japan and the storm hit the southernmost.
Luckily I'm perfectly all right. I'm ardently hoping for the victims' quickest recovery and the stricken areas'equally quick reconstruction.
Thank you again.

OSAKA, Japan(Zone 9b)

Liz, during the winter what I can use in my area are the violas, pancies ,flowering kales and stocks that I sowed in summer.
That is certainly not an exciting sight.
But it makes my expectations for the coming spring all the greater. In the middle of January Primula malacodes start to bloom, and the beginning of the early spring flower season!

Thumbnail by Tomtom
OSAKA, Japan(Zone 9b)

Your've got such discerning eyes ,kell!
It is a Japanese roof tile some three hundred years old.
It was lying nearby and I happened to use it as a tray.
I myself am surprised to find that the green ball stands out.Thank you so much for loving it.

This message was edited Sep 29, 2003 2:56 PM

San Diego, CA(Zone 10a)

How did I miss this? DD is not here this weekend or I am SURE that we would be making a ball first thing in the morning. She is going to make mossballs for the RU in October. I guess I had best get the large bag of spagnum. I will never again get the blocks of compressed spagnum that you must rehydrate. What a mess!

Tomtom, your garden is so beauiful. It makes me wish I was a little froggy that could spend a day sitting on a leaf and enjoying the scene.

OSAKA, Japan(Zone 9b)

So you've been successful in your mossballs,frgosrus.
It's getting a bit too cold to make them.
I think I'll have to put it of till next spring.

>Tomtom, your garden is so beauiful. It makes me wish I was a little froggy that could spend a day sitting on a leaf and enjoying the scene.

The frog'll surely be a fantastic addition to my garden (^_-)-™

This message was edited Oct 16, 2003 8:36 PM

San Diego, CA(Zone 10a)

It is never too cold for a mossball here. I think I will get her some lobelia to put with the little jade plantw for the round up. I will see what I can find that is small.

Edmonton, AB(Zone 3a)

ditto on that compressed spagnum frogrus. I used it this spring and it was dirty and never did get that light airy mossy look that the bagged stuff did. I find both of them pretty expensive liners. I think next year I am going to use some of tomtom's creative liner ideas. Net and other fabrics. That way I can get some interesting accent colors.

OSAKA, Japan(Zone 9b)

frogsrus,

I took a look at your thread of propagation.
Tons of spiders. Enough to ship!

For a green ball, those small plants would be ideal that grow short, spreading, and vigorous.such as--- Lippia nodiflora,thymus,etc.
Jagonjune,don't forget to let me have a look at your new ball next year.I'll surely be inspiring.

OSAKA, Japan(Zone 9b)

Finally the ball has nearly been completed. The photos were
taken on Nov.30.

Thumbnail by Tomtom
OSAKA, Japan(Zone 9b)

The contrast which was some what blurred during the summer has come out again.

Thumbnail by Tomtom
San Diego, CA(Zone 10a)

Wow! It is just beautiful. I have my baskets for this project by just haven't gotten around to it yet. Too busy digging. Maybe in the spring,

Edmonton, AB(Zone 3a)

beautiful tomtom! nice to see new green even if it is halfway round the world from our ice and snow. What is the grassy plant behind the ball in the first picture?

As usual, simply lovely Tomtom. Thank you.

OSAKA, Japan(Zone 9b)

TYVM,frogsrus,for staying posted .
Displays in the form other than ball might be intriguing .
Wish you success in the project.

TYVMAjagonjun.Our temp averages ‚P‚RŽ now,but this
Soleirolia soleirolii remains just as green and beautiful.
A very valuable plant, I think.
The plant behind the ball is Hakonechloa macra.
It has been popular in Japan. It does not propagate quickly ,though.

TYVM,Liz,for viewing the photos.
Evely time I take a look at the ball ,I get relaxed and relieved.

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

I will try my hand at this concept this spring. Thanks for the great ideas! If you have an extra 300 year old roof tile, send it on! LOL

OSAKA, Japan(Zone 9b)

Hi,kell.

Congratulations on your winning a bunch of categories in the photo contest.
Your admirable ways of cultivation were apprent everywhere in your entries!

This ball has taken a lot of time, but it has at the same time kept me awake to what it's going to be like next.
Profoundly intriguing.Please try this spring!

What other plants do you think you can use this way ?
If I find another ancient roof tile, I 'll sure send it to you@(^_^)v

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

Thank you very much Tomtom but I have alot to learn and your elegant style is something I would very much like to have!

I was thinking of using a new lantana that just came onto the market last year I believe. It is a short growing ground cover with deep green leaves and a rich bright yellow flower. I thought it would liven up any spot it was in. I need to look at it closely and see if if it is dense enough in its growth.

For a ball of fun color I may also do one in impatiens.

OSAKA, Japan(Zone 9b)

I'm so sorry,kell,I couldn't make an earlier reply.
Yes,the color yellow somehow relaxes and livens us up, especially in the cold season.
I'm looking forward to hearing from you about the scrutiny.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.