Flamboyant Tree, pot or plant

Bay City, TX(Zone 9a)

I just started 5 Flamboyant Trees, (Royal Poinciana or Flame tree) in small pots, from seeds. I am in zone nine on the gulf coast. I lost two seedlings that were in the ground to the past hurricane.(salt water) Should I try to grow them in large pots or take a chance on frost and plant them.

Magnolia, TX(Zone 8b)

Welcome to DG, larry2! You will love it here!
You can't get as much good info even fr Google!
I live in Katy & my brother lives in Palacois.
Ever go to Second Nature or Myra's? If you do & see something you like, give me a shout! Chances are good that it came fr my Farm. I work for TreeSearch Farms & I can get plants wholesale.
I'll be watching this thread to see what the answer to your questions are.
By the way, we are suppose to be having a RU over by Fredricksburg, the first wkend in Oct. Would be nice to meet you there!
Once again, welcome to DG!
:~)

Bay City, TX(Zone 9a)

Hi Smockette,
Thanks for the welcome, I actually live in Houston and garden at my bayhouse in Sargent. I used Bay City because no one has ever heard of Sargent and I wanted to get as close to my actual Zone as possible. I have never been to Tree Search Farms but I hear about it on the Gardenline shows all the time.
I think DG is going to be fun as well as informative.

Thanks for the reply and bye for now.

Jones Creek, TX(Zone 9a)

I know where Sargent is Larry2....I'm not far from there...as for your question...this is what I do....
If its something I am really in love with and can't replace I put it in a pot...if not I take my chance and plant it..We never know in this area if we will have frost or not and I have spent so much time and effort packing stuff in and out....I have lost some stuff in the past but only stuff that is super sensitive and even some of that has come through if it was under a tree or some kind of covering......If I know for sure its going to freeze I may cover something and even put a light bulb in there....Also if you cover never, never use plastic...where the plastic touches the plant that will freeze.....and the plastic holds the cold......We just don't get enough cold, frost or freezes to worry to much about it.... hope this helps... :o)

Bay City, TX(Zone 9a)

Smockette,
If you are out there, I need to know about transplanting a liveoak tree 6 1/2" trunk at 1ft. I want to put it in a spot that will be prone to lots of moisture. It was a low spot in my front yard and I had ten dump trucks of sand hauled in. After I did that I planted a nectarine and lost it, an orange and it almost died and the same with a grapefruit tree. I know live oaks live in swampy places but I would like to get an expert opinion. If I don't hear from you, I am going to try to get you at Tree Search Farms.
Thanks,
Larry2

Magnolia, TX(Zone 8b)

Did I tell you that I am the accountant @ the Farm? But the Production Mgr's office is right next to mine. I'll ask him tomorrow & let you know what he says.
I'm on here on a regular basis or at least every day or 2. You see I am addicted to DG!!!
:~)

Bay City, TX(Zone 9a)

Hi Smockette,
I talked to the tree movers today and gave them the addresses to call in to the utility companies so I guess the move is getting close.
If you can find out anything about the best habitat for a liveoak, I would really appreciate it.
Thanks,
Larry2

Magnolia, TX(Zone 8b)

I've been looking for this thread. Dave needs to fix us a clipboard so we can go back to threads we need to remember
& go back to. Usually, I try to remember who starts them.
By the way, who is moving your trees?
Will get back to you w/info later!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.