Soil-Gard by Gardens Alive

Pembroke Pines, FL(Zone 10a)

Please let me know if you have used "SOIL-GARD" and what were your results? I am just starting to set-out my plants for I am in zone 10 and we do have a lot of soil problems!
"South Florida"

I GROW MY PLANTS IN 20 in. pots.

Salem, NY(Zone 4b)

for I am in zone 10 and we do have a lot of soil problems!
"South Florida"

I GROW MY PLANTS IN 20 in. pots.

I don't think Soil Guard is going to help with the two major soil borne diseases you have to worry about in your area, which are Fusarium and Root Knot Nematodes, if indeed you have them in your own gardening area.

Many claims are made for Soil Guard ( Gliocladium virens) by different places that that sell it but it really is onl effective against the three genera of fungi which cause damping off, which you wouldn't be worried about when growing in large pots anway. And it has no activity against Root Knot Nematodes.

And if you're growing in the pots you mentioned I don't see why you would even have a soil disease problem since I'm making the assumption you'd be using a potting mix of some type or a combo of mixes, but not using native soil.

Just be sure to never let the pots touch ground. Always keep them on a board or patio or whatever.

Below is a link to Gliocladium virens ( Soil Guard) re damping off, which is its major use commercially.

http://www.cals.ncsu.edu/sustainable/peet/IPM/diseases/dampoff.html

Carolyn

Pembroke Pines, FL(Zone 10a)

Re:Soilgard
Thanks Carolyn:
In So.Fl. we have a lot of problems with heat and humidity,so it is a real challenge to raise a healthy batch of tomatos,especially,the spring planting.(Feb-Mar)Come April and May come spring torrents,so I just want to be safe. Your expertise amazes me. I wish you were my neighbor but the forum certainly makes up for it.
Have A Great Day
P.S. I do use "Sams Choice" potting soil!

This message was edited Sep 17, 2003 5:25 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.