vine to climb on rose

Lakemont, GA(Zone 8a)

Can anyone tell me if planting an annual vine like blackeyed susan, etc. would harm my climbing Blaze rose? The rose is in heavy bloom April-June and after that I would like to have more color at that spot. Its at the side of my porch in the front and the rose takes up the entire side so I dont want a big, permanent vine competing with my rose but I do need a little color. I thought something twining thru my rose would be pretty. THANKS!!!

North Vancouver, BC(Zone 8a)

berrygirl, roses love vines as companion plants...I have found with, say, Honeysuckle, which tends to mildew towards the end of summer...it's a concern! Now, annual vines, such as ornaamental Morning Glories(colours of white, blue, purple, even yellow), and others......tend to like being with another tall plant(climbing roses, clematis, etc). The thunbergia alata(Blk eyed Susan), would be a great choice,,,,now they have a variety that is coral, red and pink.... good luck......Elaine(Ramblin' Rose)

Western, PA(Zone 6a)

Clematis and roses go together very well. Both like the same fertilizer. The rose can block the bottom of the Clematis from the hot sun.

Lakemont, GA(Zone 8a)

Thanks for all your help!!! I will definitely try this next yr.

Markham, ON(Zone 5a)

One observation I have made with having Clematis and Climbing Roses together is that some Clematis take over the Rose if not trained.

I have 150 Clematis and 50 Climbing Roses in one bed. The Clematis are planted 3 vareties together for Early Mid and Late blooms.

I have had to construct a tube out of 3 X 3 hevy gauge metal lattis and train the Clematis to grow up this tube. It is really quite nice with the flowers poking out of the "windows".

Hope this helps :)

Jacksonville, IL(Zone 5a)

llliy,
That sounds so pretty! Do you have a picture?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.