Good Deal?...

Stockton, MO(Zone 6b)

Wow, I just spent the last hour checking out that link. Pretty cool stuff!

Woodburn, OR(Zone 8a)

Sue_WA, let me know how easily it goes up, I'm about 90% convinced to buy one! I'd need to figure out where to put it, my yard is partial shade on all sides because all my neighbors let everything grow huge and wild....I'd like to put it in a corner where it's shady after about 4PM, which I guess could be good on hot summer days, the other option is a spot that is shaded until about noon then gets full sun the rest of the day, and it's against a light colored wall so it would get REALLY hot in the summer afternoons but cold in the mornings...hmmm I might have to think about it some more...

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Go for the afternoon shade. For some reason that afternoon sun is a lot hotter, probably due to the fact the temperature is higher. You can always put some shade cloth on to cut the exposure of the sun. That comes in different light cutting %'s. The FarmTek catalog has that too.
Also I see they have bubble wrap just made for insulating greenhouses.
Good Luck
Bernie

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

Will do! I am now waiting patiently for the rain to stop............

Weslemkoon Lake, ON(Zone 3a)

I live in northern ontario and I want to buy a greenhouse, but shipping in from the states is disasterous,,any Ontario persons can help me???

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

Well, we have got 99 % of the framing done today. The instructions are seriously bad. Photos from Bob G and austincreek on GW sure did help today. We are about 50 nuts and bolts away from finishing the frame. They didn't send us enough! :(

Am I happy with it so far? Yes. It IS small but fits nice in my veggie garden. :) Tomorrow I will finish putting in the poly sheets and start moving stuff in.

We did all of this plus most of the door (not pictured) today.

Thumbnail by Sue_WA
Plumieville, PA(Zone 6b)

keep the pictures coming. i have been thinking about getting this green house, and so far it looks like a great deal!

Kingwood, TX(Zone 8a)

Sue:

Did you download the new set of instructions off my web page? I was only short about 5 nuts and bolts when I assembled my GH. Your foundation is just like mine. Looks like you have done a great job so far. Post finished product pictures when your done.....

This message was edited Oct 27, 2003 8:32 AM

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

Hi Bob, yes I did print the instructions from your website, thanks! :) They are a slight improvement over the instructions we got in the box and the extra pages did give some insight to the rest of the parts. Part #12 was the most frustrating for us today! But after looking at the photos, it was clear where it went. Bob, did Harbor Freight send you the nuts/bolts or did you pick them up at a hardware store?

I will post more pictures tomorrow or next day.

Kingwood, TX(Zone 8a)

I just went to the local Ace Hardware. They had nearly the exact bolts and nuts that came with the greenhouse, but were stainless steel. I think they were 5 cents each for both the nut and bolt.....Did you run electric and water to yours??

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

weslemkoon, here's a link to about 10 Canadian companies that sell GH kits: http://gardenwatchdog.com/advanced.php?state=xx&country=CA&category=60&search_text=&sorter=company_name&submit=Search

Welcome to DG - hope this helps!

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

The water is already there, but I still have to figure out the electric thing. As soon as I get it buttoned up I will start digging the trench for the electric. I know it's backwards, but the help was here this weekend and I wanted to get it started!

Mableton, GA(Zone 7b)

Okay, so now I want to know what y'all think about THIS one:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=41334

I realize it isn't going to last very many years (crossing fingers for more than ONE). I know it's cheap, that's the good thing. Because I don't think the one you guys are dealing with will be enough for me in the long run and this might be a good temp? Question is...will it be any good at all? Will it hold enough heat in to warrant buying it? Hmm...

Murrells Inlet, SC(Zone 8a)

we have a local place tht'll sell you an8x8x10 for $1200. So yeah I would say tht's a good price for that one. Shipping is how they're gonna get you though!

Mableton, GA(Zone 7b)

shipping for orders over $50 is free. Atleast that's how it reads. :)

Stockton, MO(Zone 6b)

Angie, I picked up one that looked like that(for $70 at a tool sale). I was very disappointed. It was basicly a white tent. The first strong wind we had, broke some of the plastic do dads that held the frame together. What's left of it is living out it's life as a very expensive tarp.

If you want an inexpensive, portable, greenhouse, do a google search for hobby greenhouse. There ARE some nice inexpensive ones out there.

Mableton, GA(Zone 7b)

Yeah I know, cheap is cheap. *sigh* Thanks for your honesty skyblue. :) I just know I can't hope to find one this size for this money and it not be like this. Ah well, here's to saving pennies...

Stockton, MO(Zone 6b)

If you go to www.littlegreenhouse.com, and call up the portable greenhouse section, the dome house is just like my first GH (I've been using it for 2 12 years now) I paid about $100 more for mine than they are charging. In your neck of the woods, you could probably get by with some bottom heat, and tenting over your plants to keep things from freezing in it.

We built a 10'x12' GH out of 1" PVC for roughly $150 including the UV-rated plastic film. (We used a free set of DIY plans to get started.) I would recommend that before paying $140 for this one ;o)

Mableton, GA(Zone 7b)

The actual 'little greenhouse' looked neat. Hmm...thanks for the link (my pocketbook might not thank you though! lol)

Heuvelton, NY(Zone 4a)

Terry

How can I get the plans for the GH you made. Sounds like a good project. Thanks

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

Tigerlilies, I'm not sure where Terry got her plans ... but this link has several different plans
http://bioengr.ag.utk.edu/Extension/ExtPubs/PlanList97.htm#Greenhouse%20Plans

Here's a link to the plans we used: http://www.snapclamp.com/greenhouse.htm (We modified the design, because it's only 8x10 and I wanted it a bit bigger :)

GOD's Green Earth, United States(Zone 8b)

For a portable greenhouse, I don't think you can beat Gronhaus brand. I researched for months before buying mine.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.