Camelias for deep south garden

Orlando, FL(Zone 9b)

I'm working on putting in some new beds in the back yard. As the back yard isn't that big, I only want the beds mainly along the fencelines. There is one corner of my back yard that is under about 5 mature oak trees, and is mostly shaded all year round, but it's not deep shade. It does get a touch of morning sun and dappled light throughout the day. It's protected from the hot afternoon sun. I was thinking of putting in a camelia in that area. The soil is well drained, but has some organic matter in it (I will ammend it with compost before planting anything). The pH hasn't been tested, but the rest of my yard is slightly alkaline (ph of 7-8).

Will these conditions be conducive to growing a camelia? If so, does anyone have any recommendations for a common variety of red or deep pink camelia for me that might do well (I like the doubles)? Is there anything special I should look for when purchasing one?

Pass Christian, MS(Zone 8b)

Hey Butterly! I have lived in the "land of Camellia's" here in Mississippi for about 12 years. Many of my neighbors have very old ones 15-20 feet tall that are pruned as trees. Early Spring is great time to live on the Gulf Coast, its very beautiful to see so many in bloom. Mine blooms for about a couple of months starting in early March. She is a "Kramer's Supreme" (Japonica),is a beautiful light red color and has a very light fragrance. The Sasanqua varieties are supposed to bloom in fall and winter. From what I have read, camellia's love acid soil. I give mine miracid just after blooming and again in July.If your soil is to alkaline, maybe you could pot one.

Orlando, FL(Zone 9b)

Thanks, KMP. My soil tends to be alkaline to neutral, depending on the area of the yard. I have some acid-loving plants that are getting by in my yard with some added manganese sulfate to lower pH.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.