Thunbergia battiscombei

Jones Creek, TX(Zone 9a)

What a surprise I found this afternoon...I have been waiting for this thing to bloom for several weeks now...I had put it under a tree and just forgot it...It has been raining so much the last week I hadn't checked on it. So this afternoon I did and what a surprise..new blooms and its every bit as pretty as I thought it would be.... :o)

Thumbnail by WillowWasp
Bowie, AZ(Zone 8B)

a BEAUTIFUL blue!!!

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

That is beautiful. I think it will go on my "must have" list.

Grass Lake, MI(Zone 5a)

That is gorgeous! Great color!!!!

Needville, TX(Zone 9a)

UH, you better check again mom.....I think you HAD one....I now own one.....LOL.....

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

They will bloom like crazy in full sun. They can be messy too when they bloom heavily. I also like this plant and fortunately had a cutting this spring besides my mother plant. She died for some reason. Maybe old age.

Jones Creek, TX(Zone 9a)

Moonlighting....you know I know where you live.....LOL

Brugie how long were you able to keep this plant alive? Did you have to do cuttings on it or did it just keep going? This is a first for me on this one... :o)

North Vancouver, BC(Zone 8a)

Mine just began blooming also!!! What a pretty flower!! Elaine

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Willow, I've had mine for three or four years. I just learned how to do cuttings from it last year, and had only cut it back the years before to bring it inside for winter. Sometimes it would look dead, but a new shoot would come up from the soil This year.....no new shoots. When I take cuttings, I take a piece about six inches long and put it in a jar of wet perlite with about an inch and a half of water in the jar. Don't let it go dry. It takes about six weeks, but they will root. Also, don't put the jar in sun, just bright light. I've also found that using one of those 1 gallon aquariums that are plastic and has a lighted lid works great. Same thing with the perlite and water in it, but you can get a lot of cuttings in there. I've done hibiscus in my aquarium with great success.

Jones Creek, TX(Zone 9a)

Sounds good Brugie, I'm gonna try it...I have a 15 gallon aquarium that I use to start cuttings in the dead of summer..Just put them in there in cups, water or vermiculite, and try and keep air circulating, have a Florissant light and thats it...works 90 % of the time...... :o)

Woodburn, OR(Zone 8a)

Mine is blooming like crazy too, but I can't find seeds so I'm glad to hear they're easy to root!

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Just heard today that if you put a plastic bag over the jar with the cutting, they will root much quicker.

Jones Creek, TX(Zone 9a)

Ok, thanks Brugie...I am going to try to root some next week... wish me luck........ :o)

Stockton, CA(Zone 9a)

Hi,
I grow the thunbergia's too, the Grandiflora and the togoensis. They root VERY easily. I just take 2 liter soda bottles, cut off the top about halfway down & fill the bottom half with moist vermiculite. I stick the cuttings in, no rooting hormone needed, stick the top on & if it appears to get too much moisture I unscrew the lid a bit. I just set the bottles in a shady spot & forget about them. They ALL root every time. So no reason not to do those cuttings. They are amazingly beautiful flowers, aren't they?

Jones Creek, TX(Zone 9a)

I love them Pudgy, I am looking for more of this type with the big flowers...I have the black eye susans and have grown the blue sky flower but I like these the best... Thanks for instructions on how to root these...
Moonlighting wants one and I am going to try and get some rooted for her, and will offer others that can be traded later....This vine is not that big so don't know how many cutting I can get...It is blooming so much right now I hate to disturbe it........ :o)

EDITED for spelling ... :o0

This message was edited Sep 19, 2003 7:15 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.