Does anyone have experience with elevated plant beds?

San Jose, CA(Zone 9a)

I just saw a elevated bed in a magazine and thought it was a good idea...later I realized that it would dry out more quickly than plants in the ground.
Is there anyone with experience this sort of bed, that would be about 10" deep, with a bottom and elevated about 24" off of the ground?
I would like your opinion of this. I would be using it to plant daylilies in.
Thanks, Margie in SJ

Scotia, CA(Zone 9b)

Beds raised above the ground will need watering more frequently, especially during your hot summer months. But they are much easier to tend too for anyone who has problems getting up and down. And if you are still on water restrictions you can use gray water to keep them going without having to water deep into the ground below.

Edmonton, AB(Zone 3a)

I built an extension to my vegetable plot this way this year and yes it needed much more frequent watering (could have been because of the much sandier soil I used) but it warmed earlier in the year (on asphalt lined with pond liner) will post pictures. was awesome for growing corn - I had mature ears 10 days before the market gardeners in my area but poor for root crops such as carrots. Wonderful for strawberries and herbs. Haven't tried flowers this way yet.

Margie, is there anyway to post a picture? My tomato bed is raised but it's right on the ground and the tree roots get into the soil. Soil Moist or something similar will help retain moisture. I use it in all my pots and my tomato bed.

San Jose, CA(Zone 9a)

Good idea...I will try and post a photo !! Thanks for reminding me to do that....Margie in SJ

Thumbnail by picturelady
Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

I think the addition of WaterSorb crystals and lots of good organic materials will help with the problem. You might also want to make the bottom of the bed a little less pourus so that it drains more slowly.

San Jose, CA(Zone 9a)

Thanks all for your responses. After showing the above plans to my son, who will help us build a bed....we decided to build a 24" planting bed, on the ground. Although the photos made it look easier to me, somehow, we figured out it would actually be alot more work than a raised be on the ground.

So I am looking forward to the material purchases being made and the beginning of construction! Margie

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

Have you thought of incorporating a buried soaker hose to do the watering with? The type that drips not sprays will work well for you.

I would line the bottom with a bit of visqueen [cheaper than pond liner]and several layers of newspaper to slow the water loss.

Your address would indicate you don't have much water to waste. If this is true depending on what you grow consider mulching the top with something as you will be rewarded with little if any weeding, moisture retention , and happy plants . Good luck with the project.

Ernie

Oak Grove, LA(Zone 8b)

Hi, I am late to respond but new here...just joined DG...My Hubby and I are growing in raised beds, we use visqueen on the bottom and layer a heavy liner of dried leaves in the bottom when making our beds..to retain the water and feed...then rich organic compost on top to dress the beds, we keep our compost bins going year round.
Using the drip type watering hoses burried just below soil line works for us and is so easy to lay out as you plant. We raise all of our flowering plants and veggies this way ...it's not only beautiful , there are no weeds to worry with ..woohoooooo....the next planting season we simply rake back the top layer and add new leaves to the bottoms...and this works beautifully, not only for growing but for watering as well....Dee

Welcome Dee! What is visqueen?

Oak Grove, LA(Zone 8b)

Visqueen is a thick plastic type sheeting, we use it to line the bottom of our boxes to retain moisture.

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

Visqueen is also clear. It is commonly seen around construction sites for several temporary job's.

Thanks Dee. I've never heard of it before.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.