Datura Questions

Homestead, FL(Zone 10b)

Are there any Dats that are easier to grow than others?

Which varieties are more fragrant?

Are there any dwarf varieties?

Harrisville, MI(Zone 5b)

Dats seem very easy to grow,some here even consider them weeds,they will reseed if you are not careful.
I find the best scent so far this year has come from my single whites,the colored hybrids smell nice,just not as sweet as the wild forms.
Hope this helps,I need more coffee.

Homestead, FL(Zone 10b)

rootdoctor:

Thank-you for your responses. I hope you enjoyed your coffee! :-)

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Delecie

Here is a pic of my datura wrightii, right before the blooms open. It blooms at night and the blooms are about 8 inches long and as much as 6 inches across and very fragrant.

Thumbnail by Brinda
Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

And here it is right after opening. They open at dusk and close around noon the next day. If it is cloudy outside, some will stay open all day.

Thumbnail by Brinda
Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

D. wrightii is my favorite too. That one and the D.innoxia... which has a smaller bloom. The doubles never seem to do as well for me. I get much fewer blooms from them.

Homestead, FL(Zone 10b)

Brinda:

That is a beautiful and healthy looking plant. Please tell me that is the mature plant size. I have an area that I'd like to plant with dwarf daturas, if they exist.

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Sorry Delecie....but that plant was about 4" tall when we planted it 2 months ago. It is more than 3 feet tall now and I'm certain it will get bigger. We have an ugly place between a cellar and the fence and needed something pretty to put there. If I'm not mistaken, this could get as much as 4 to 5 feet tall....and that wide too.

I have a friend that has them and hers is huge. I'm 5' 2" and it's taller than me. Another friend of mine has the same plant also, but she keeps hers cut back around 2 1/2 to 3 feet tall. Either way, they are so pretty. But please know that alot of people find this invasive. And I'm sure it could be if it wasn't kept under control.

This plant sets seed pods that are very spiny. You couldn't pick the seeds without gloves. I have many pods ripening.....you're definately welcome to some if you'd like. But please understand.....the largest pods have been ripening for 4 weeks now and don't look like they will be ready for about another 4 weeks.

:)

Homestead, FL(Zone 10b)

Thank-you Brinda. I'd love to try some seeds. Maybe I can keep the plants under control by growing them in pots. :-)

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

You can prune them, even in the ground. I've never done it, but Ruby_Tuesday does it all the time and has some great looking dats.

Harrisville, MI(Zone 5b)

delicie,here is one for you,this is came up from seed.

will have these for all(I hope all)

Thumbnail by rootdoctor
Homestead, FL(Zone 10b)

root:

That's a beauty! What's it's name?

Harrisville, MI(Zone 5b)

delecie,sorry.I don't get on enough to stay caught up.I grew this as a triple,shared from my friends here,have one pod I am saving,so I will have a few seeds!

Homestead, FL(Zone 10b)

root:

Thank-you for the offer of seeds. Because of you and Brinda, I'll have beautiful daturas in my garden next year. :-)

Harrisville, MI(Zone 5b)

You will love them,my pods are still on the plant,so be patient with me.

Jones Creek, TX(Zone 9a)

Dats are so easy....they seem to grow anywhere and love it...sometimes the worst places are the best places...I like to plant them in clumps to make a real nice display...I am planing to do this next year with white,yellow and purple....

Homestead, FL(Zone 10b)

WillowWasp:

When you plant the daturas in a clump, how many plants do you plant and in what size area? How large do you allow the plants to grow in a clump?

root:

I have nothing but patience. Because I'm in zone 10, I garden year round so I will find other gardening activities to occupy my time until the seeds arrive from you and Brinda. :-)

Edmonton, AB(Zone 3a)

rootdoctor at what point do you harvest a pod - could you post a picture of one before you take it. I have only one pod to harvest and don't want to take it prematurely. I am making the assumption that any pods produced once they are inside (now) will not be fertile (correct?) or are they self pollinating?

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

jagonjune

They are self pollinating. And it won't matter if the plant is inside or out, they will still produce. I watch my pods daily and wait until they turn brown & start to split. The I pick them & let them dry. You can break them open so they will dry faster. I have many pods that are taking their own sweet time to ripen. I have some that have been ripening for more than 6 weeks now. Seems like this year they are really slooooow! Hope this helps!
Brinda :)

Harrisville, MI(Zone 5b)

Ditto on Brindas reply!

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

LOL Root, sorry!!! I didn't mean to step on your shoes! I just love dats and thought I'd throw in a bit of my experiences! Enjoy your day....it's raining here today! We need it but, ughhhh....I wanted to be outside today! And you know....I will melt! LOL

Harrisville, MI(Zone 5b)

Brinda I'm barefoot lol!!!!my toes are tough,I think you put things much better then I do!!!

Harrisville, MI(Zone 5b)

Had to go across the street and get a picture of Vinces' it is loaded.

Thumbnail by rootdoctor
Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Root, what a pretty site! Sneak over & steal the pods when they're ripe! LOL

High Desert, CA(Zone 8a)

Brinda ... since u pick ur pods earlier, how do u guarantee the seeds are matured enough??? i am very leery picking pods that are green. i always wait till they turn brown or pop open a little... then that is the time i pick them and dry them thoroughly.

Harrisville, MI(Zone 5b)

LOL,Brinda,I gave him all his seeds!

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

MaVie,

I'm scrolling back up trying to figure out where I said that I picked pods that were green, but can't seem to find it. I always wait until they are brown and starting to crack open.

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

We have quite a few mature wild datura pods if you want them, Brinda. I only have one sold white plant this year and it's pods aren't ripe yet. All the rest have a lavender heart. No trouble raising these darlings. Just let a seed touch soil and you have a plant! LOL. The fragrance is wonderful. My husband and other farmers hate them.

High Desert, CA(Zone 8a)

my bad Brinda, i must be thinking of the posting of Rootdoctor from the other datura threads. sorry :(.

Edmonton, AB(Zone 3a)

Thanks to both of you. Now I will let the flowers which are just blooming go to seed. If I can keep them healthy indoors long enough. My experience with starting seed is not the easy event that you describe either. Seems like they take forever to germinate and just when you give up and throw the soil in the repotting bins little seedlings start to show themselves. Perverse little creatures.

High Desert, CA(Zone 8a)

Jagonjune, in my area, winter goes down to 10*F. i wait till the soil gets warm. month of May for me, i sow seeds direct on the ground. in no time, they would sprout and new seedling appears. if i tried it 1 or 2 months sooner, i have longer wait for the seed to sprout.

i tried planting them during colder months with no success. planting direct to the ground works better for me. i am not at all familiar with ur area, so use ur best judgment :). hth ...
ma vie

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

I'm bumping up this thread because it contains some good pictures and information.

Judy

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.