Moving or transplanting Hydrangeas

nashville, TN(Zone 6b)

Hi, I have a couple of hydrangeas that don't bloom and wilt because they get some afternoon sun. Can anyone suggest the best time to move these?

Linda

Grove City, OH(Zone 6a)

The ideal time to move shrubs is when they are dormant. You don't have to work as hard to make sure you keep a ball of soil around the roots to prevent them from dying because of drying out.

The second best time is in the fall, so they will have lots of time to become established before next summer brings its terrible heat.

If the shrubs are huge, you can trim them to a more reasonable size before you transplant, and that way reduce transplant shock even more.

I gotta have mine moved this week, too :)

Braselton, GA(Zone 8a)

Thanks for the info. I've got two plants that I've had in afternoon sun/pt. shade and they haven't done well. I was thinking of moving them this fall. What are their ideal growing spots here in z7b? Thanks!!!!

Grove City, OH(Zone 6a)

I have mine in almost all full shade; it wilts badly in afternoon sun, even this far north. Mine is too close to a neighbor's grossly overgrown shrub. It takes all the food and water and leaves nothing for my lacecap hydrangea. (It is a macrophylla, 'Blue Wave'). I am going to try for a little more morning light, with afternoon shade where it won't be out-competed.

If you have an area with morning full sun or dappled sun and afternoon shade, that would probably be best.

nashville, TN(Zone 6b)

Thanks so much for the info. I may put them in mostly shade, I hope they will do well and finally bloom.

Linda

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.