Red Spotted Purple

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

This is the first of these I've seen. The pictures aren't great, I could't get very close but isn't it beautiful!

Thumbnail by Floridian
Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

A side view...this flutter just glowed in the sunlight. Another not so hot picture but you get the idea

Thumbnail by Floridian
Orlando, FL(Zone 9b)

What a beauty! Where did you see it? I have yet to see a red spotted purple.

I did confirm that my newest b'fly sighting was a spicebush swallowtail :) I went to the farmer's market last Sat. and showed the b'fly guy. Boy, was that trip an adventure--a little tree frog was hopping about the truck. Jackie (my friend), who was driving at the time, was jumping around and screaming because it kept crawling on her. The little guy was only about 1/3 of an inch long--very tiny! We finally caught him and put him in her coffee mug (the insulated kind with a lid). He managed to climb out through the little drinking slit and jumped out onto the street just as we were getting to the farmer's market. I had to rescue it from oncoming traffic. Then trying to get it into a sealed container when we made it over to the b'fly guy was another adventure. We almost lost it again. They we got poured on as what was left of TS Henri made it's way over central FL.

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

Sounds like quite an adventure, I can just picture it! LOL
The butterfly was at Tampa Bay Nursery in Odessa (Tampa for all intents and purposes).

Stone Mountain, GA(Zone 7b)

Those are my favorite! Great photos!
yvana :)

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

I can see why this would be a favorite! The colors just shimmered in the sunlight!

Ellabell, GA(Zone 8a)

I love that one too, the colors are so intense. It doesn't come to flowers as much as other butterflies do, but I see one every now and then.

Stone Mountain, GA(Zone 7b)

I always see it drinking from mud puddles!

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

Makes sense Ywana, this butterfly was definitely in the damp areas of the drive.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.