Why is my puter crawling?

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

I've tried folks! I've defragged, I've cleaned up C drive/disc (whatever). I've deleted programs I don't use. I've recently put in a new modem.

I have no idea why I'm all of a sudden taking much more time to load pages. It could be anything from downloading a pic at DG to opening a web search page. (I find myself staring at the little "horizontal graph bar", watching it creep along...sometimes only to end in a "Can't find page, refresh, blah blah blah...")

I used to connect at 38 or more (dial up). Now I connect at 32 but can't believe that difference would bring up this much trouble. I also never used to have trouble with MSN Instant Messenger (I get bumped off it quite often)...never used to (however, recently I DL'd the newest version, something to that maybe?). I've tried "repairing" that version, but to no avail. If I get rid of it, how can I get the previous version back?

Surely there must be some way to speed this system back up again. Any idea of some things to check next? Please? Pretty please!?

This thread has 24 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!