Washing gourds!

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Our Grandson, Jordan loves to run things through the washer. He is a big help around the farm!
Bernie

Thumbnail by CountryGardens
Dayton, OH(Zone 5a)

Wish I could borrow him and that set-up you've got there, Bernie! Looks like you've got the washing down to a science. I thought gourds usually were cleaned after they dried. Is that my misunderstanding?

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

These are the small hard shell kind. They are ripe when picked. We wash them to get the dirt off.
Machine cost us a bundle by the way.
You can check it out on www.marketfarm.com.
Sold a bunch of these gourds today.

Crossville, TN

This looks like the kind you find in the Supermarket in the fall that have wax one them./

Now...to show my stupidity....does all these different looking gourds come off the same vine. Some one gave me sseds that just says..."Ornamental Gourds" . (bet there are others that really wanted to ask this dumb question and were too shy to ask!!) Jo

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

We planted about 11 different varieties, plus 2 of them were mixes. They will be the same on each plant, almost.
The color pattern & shape will be similar, but each one is slightly different. We put these out on an 8 ft table with sides. People love to dig through them for just the right ones. They sell for 50¢ or 5 for $2. Plain ones go 5 for a dollar. Sometimes the people are hip to hip around the table. Lots of fun & very profitable for us. These gourds are no work!
Bernie
P.S. Our large gourds didn't turn out this year, bad weather I think.

Dayton, OH(Zone 5a)

Jo, I kind of figured you would get the mix on one plant so I guess I had the same question. Thanks for asking cuz now we know :) My mom always liked these varieties. I feel bad cuz I'm more interested in the more predictable types like the bird house & luffas.

Sorry that your large gourds didn't work well this year, Bernie. I managed to get just one EXLH Dipper off of three plants! My first and maybe last attempt. DS was intrigued, and so I set off on a mission. But, with the weather, I had little that ever managed to get far. Just the one and I hope it dries well w/out rotting!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.