Family Episode

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

(I knew ya'll would appreciate this):)

I never thought a time would come where I’d be forced to spend two nights, alone, in the deep dark woods. In all my life I had never given a thought to the fact that someone might not be there to hug me, smile at me (or with me), joke and play, or even talk to me. I also never imagined I’d be in the deep dark woods, constrained to a tree with a rope, unable to get away, unable to go home. I wondered why this was happening, and I cried.

You see, I started out on a joy walk, that was all. Actually it was a “joy run”! I was so wrapped up in the excitement and the running! I must’ve run through two or three acres of woods, maybe more! I was still feeling exuberant when I felt the pressure around my neck.

Trying to run a new direction didn’t free me, it only trapped me ever so much harder. Not only was I at a loss for words but, for a time, I couldn’t even scream.

When I quit fighting the opponent and just laid there for a bit, catching my breath, I finally realized I was not going any further on my journey. I also realized I was also not going home.

…………

Howdy Folks, Horseshoe here.
Didn’t mean to scare anyone!
The above is a true story. It happened just these past few days, and happened to our sweet family member, RosieJane, the miniature dachshund. Stay tuned, it gets better!

Rosie was on her tie-out rope, but had gotten loose. Altho she often-times is allowed to run the woods she usually doesn’t go far and comes right back. This time, she took off and was dragging a ten foot rope, attached to her collar. When she didn’t return by nightfall I just knew she had gotten tangled up in the woods, or if she had chosen to go up the drive-road to the Big Road then perhaps someone would’ve taken her home with them, for keeps.
The following day DW went looking one way, in the woods and down the power lines. Later she went the other way, down the creek and then to the river. Later in the day I also went here and there, hollering and looking. When DD came home from school she packed a backpack (complete with dog food, water and treats) and went searching also. We had put the word out to the Animal Control folks to keep a look-out. Another night passed and no Rosie. It seemed the only thing happening was that we were witnessing the true definition of “sadness”.
Today I printed out “Lost Dog” signs and attached them to wooden squares of plywood that were screwed to tomato stakes. I pounded a few near the road here, the road there, taped some up in several store windows, dropped some off at neighbors’ houses. On the way home, at the last minute, I decided to leave one at the house up the road. The owner was home and when I told him about Rosie he said he’d been hearing some yipping in the woods. He thought the folks way across the way had gotten a new puppy. Altho it was pouring down rain he said “let’s go” and off we went in the direction he’d heard the sounds from.
Welp, to make this a bit shorter than I care to, we eventually found Rosie, wrapped around two trees. The rope was so tight I had to cut it loose, no way to un-tie it. She was so happy! She was also unscathed and in good health!
By the time the women-folk got home from after-school activities, both me and Rosie had had a nice warm shower, she ate a bowl (and more!) of food, had playtime for a bit, and we both had expressions of Hallelujah on our faces! And now, back to Rosie:
…..
I can’t believe how dark it gets outside at night. There are these big creatures out there, too! Why, one of them was way up in a tree, and had spot-light eyeballs, and appeared to turn its head all the way around! I stared at it for a while, in awe. Then it made a train-like noise. “Whoooooooo….! Whoooo….!” I hunkered down and didn’t make ANY noise!
Two darktimes happened while I was locked in those woods. The second day it started raining and I heard other noises! I wondered what kind of big creature was coming next! It sounded so big, like it was the size of two creatures! Next I hear whistling, and hollering, and then heard my name! Over and over I heard those sounds…and then they became fainter, and fainter. With all my might I hollered back, “YIP! YIP!!!!”. Next thing I knew the noises were coming my way again and there I saw the movements! One human I heard first, the noisy one. The other one I saw, and knew him on sight! The quiet-walking one was MY Human! (He’s like me, you know! Neither of us wears those things on our feet). I nearly wagged my tail off! I think he had wagged his off years ago, but I could tell he was just as happy as me! He wagged in his own way!
And now, here I am, relaxed in his little house they call the shoffice ( I have my own private door there, ya know). I’m warm, content, have a full belly, and laying in my bed. With my tired eyes I see the back of his head, and hear his fingers clicking while he stares at a window of some kind on his desk. He also is content (although I can smell the salty water that leaks out of his eyes). Maybe we are both tired.
…….
{And RosieJane yawns, big open mouth, her tongue curling up a bit on the end as she does so. A small squeek, a big sigh…and, and, zzzzzzzz….} ô¿ô

This thread has 31 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!