Foxglove 'Excelsior Mix' (Digitalis purpurea)

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Common name: Foxglove 'Excelsior Mix'
Family: Scrophulariaceae
Genus: Digitalis
Species purpurea

Plant Link: http://plantsdatabase.com/go/31543/

Thumbnail by Weezingreens
Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

I love all your pretty pictures, Carol, for most of us these plants you are posting have come and gone, it is interesting that your season is so much later, but it is wonderful to see all these again and helps muster a little enthusiasm for next season. Right now I am so tired and almost wishing for our Oregon 'liquid sunshine' to return.
We are doing a Dahlia Days open 'field' starting tomorrow through Labor day. It will be fun, but am looking forward to being finished too.

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

I know what you mean, Lenjo. I was pleased to see a few rainy days in early August, but now my enthusiasm is waning. I'd like to see a bit of sun! August is always a rainy month around here.

Actually, some of the pictures I post are not 'current'. Our foxglove have pretty much come and gone, as well. I think this picture was taken in late July or early August. It was taken at a friend's house and she gets lots of sun, so her plants bloom sooner than mine.

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

But even late July or early August is later than here in than western Oregon. Not much maybe but some.Foxgloves here are June but sideshoots on these guys can go for another month.

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Yes, you are indeed earlier than us. I think ours don't get started at all until July sometime, later rather than earlier. I can check most of my bloom dates by looking back at my photos. It would be interesting to compare bloom dates from one season to the next.

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

That is so true, I sell a few cutflowers and if I had half a brain I would take pretty extensive notes but there are more important things to do I tell myself at the time. LOL But time and time again, I wish I would have made these notes.

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Yes, I have taken notes, but I'm afraid I get busy, too. For one thing, any change of weather affects the bloom time, so each season is different. I think that your season is similar to mine, but you get a hotter summer than I.

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

This summer especially it has probably been warmer and oh ever so dry. It can be pretty cool and moist till the 4th of July. This year it turned dry after the beginning of June and it hasn't rained substantially since and we have had many many days over 80 and 90. I am waiting for summer to finish now. I can't imagine living somewhere without a distinct season change, I mean the 4 seasons. Some places know about two basic changes but I am happy to have a distinct spring, summer, fall, and winter.

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

I feel the same way... I'd work myself to death if I could garden year 'round! However, I'm beginning to realize that some of these warm climates have their limits, as well. Whereas I can grow cool weather plants all summer, some warm weather gardeners do most of their gardening in the spring and fall when it's cooler.

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

Hard not to love this one!!

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Yes, Foxglove is such a performer! It's one of the English country garden plants.

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

Just gorgeous!!

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

These were growing in a friend's yard. They self-seed every year for her. They seem to like the conditions there. The throats of Digitalis purpurea usually have lovely speckles. Here's one in my bed this year.

Thumbnail by Weezingreens
San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

I had some a few years back that I just loved. B t they disappeared. i wish mine would self sow. Yours are so pretty!

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

You'd think they'd reseed for you in Northern California. They are most likely a shade plant in your area. I think the secret is to plant them where you won't be digging in the spring. I've had lots more reseeding since I've been to busy to dig in my beds in the spring.

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

I just planted one a month ago in an area that has not 1 inch of room left for me to dig. So maybe I willl get lucky this time!! They have done great in full sun. Our temp here stays in the 70s usually, thank goodness!!!.

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Oh, your summers are milder than I would have thought. Yes, they should do well there, and they do put out lots of seed.

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

Lets hope. LOL

I am by the bay, much cooler here. Every night is in the 50s

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Similar to my climate in summer. 60's to 70's during the day... 50's at night.

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

It is perfect summer weather!! But I bet I have you beat in winter. LOL

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Our winter temps seldom drop below the 20's F. We get rain in the winter and our biggest snows come in February and March. Sometimes we don't have a White Christmas.

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

No snow here. Never a white Christmas, but we can have a real wet one. We get rain from November thru April then no rain at all the rest of the months.

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Ah, well, we do get snow here, just not as much as some would expect. We are a coastal town in South Central Alaska, so we get plenty of rain winter and summer. A wet spring can crown-rot the foxglove.

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

I had great ones a few years back. After seeing yours, I sure hope I get them going again. Mine usually flowered from same plant each year. I am not sure if they were a side plant but it was from the same clump.

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Digitalis purpurea is technically a biennial, so it should die off after it blooms, but I am unsure how they behave if they don't go through a cold dormancy.

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

Here petunias can live over year to year.

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

I'm always a bit confused between annuals, perennials & biennials. Often plants most consider annuals are actually tender perennials. That may be the case with petunias.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.