When to move pine trees

Porterfield, WI(Zone 4b)

Keep in mind this is Wisconsin. I have about a 5' pine tree in my yard that is too close to a much larger one. I also lost one in another part of the yard. I would like to move this one, but the last time I tried that about a year ago, I lost it. Would it be better to move it this fall, maybe in a month, after it gets a little cooler, or wait until spring?? Any suggestions would be welcome. I have fall planted from the woods before with pretty good results. Thanks, Legit

Lincoln City, OR(Zone 9a)

fall is a great time to move your pine tree. When you put it in its new spot just use some root stimulator on it and follow the label suggestions. Many root stimulators are to be applied the first year or two which can really help out the tree. Good luck.

Orlando, FL(Zone 9b)

Legit:
My dad used to dig up pine trees from the ditches where they would get mowed over. I don't think he ever tried moving one that big. Make sure you get as big a rootball as you are able. I think pine trees have a tap root, so you'd want to dig down pretty deep, too. You might want to get a friend or two to help.

Where is Porterfield, WI??? I was born and raised in WI and have never heard of that town/city.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.