tomato recipees

St. augustine, FL(Zone 9a)

This is the first year I've really had a bumper crop of tomatoes. I've already got tons canned. Anyone have any good recipees for using them fresh or canned? Looking for more main dish kind of things or soups. Already have enough salsa and chili type of things.

Payneville, KY(Zone 7a)

Try stuffing your tomatoes like you would a green pepper. Don't cook your tomatoes like a green pepper though. Just take the insides out and fill with your favorite filling. What a treat. Also, look back in the recipes (a few months ago, sorry I don't know how to do a hyperlink) I posted a recipe for tomato pie.

Have fun.

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

karen...here is a link to Kathy's (mistymeadows) mater pie in the MarketGrowers Forum.
http://davesgarden.com/t/386213/

You have to scroll down to Mistymeadows at the date July 2nd.

Kathy, I know this may be sacrilege to even mention it but, can someone make a pie and freeze it (and have it come out still tasty)?

Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

karen - if you have some roma tomatoes you can bake them in the oven and make "sun dried" tomatoes. i then mince them and when i make a pot of sauce i throw them in. it gives the sauce a rich taste. you can also take reg. tomatoes and put them under broiler until they start to turn black on the edges. take them out and put them in blender also with a roasted red pepper or two. it makes a terrific sauce. i have an exact receipe if you want it.

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Herbie! Can you post that recipe? Please? Either here or in the Recipes Forum. My heirloom paste maters are just now beginning to turn color.

Verona, ON

Oh Kathy I am so glad that I am not the only one who cannot do a hyperlink. Guess that's one of the reasons we have Shoe around!!!
Karen, try this one - it's great with eggs, on toast and for me especially on fingers.
Tomato Butter
Peel 12 ripe tomatoes
Simmer these first.
Add 2 1/2c. brown sugar. (I use less). Boil together 1 hour.
Then add 1/2 c. vinegar and tsp each of cinnamon, ground cloves and salt.
Simmer together until thick enough for jam.
Ambrosia!!

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Mercy!...Kidney..you're makin' me HONGRY! Gonna write that one down.

Payneville, KY(Zone 7a)

Shoe, I had a customer that said she was going to freeze one. I never have, they don't last long around here, but it is worth finding out. Will keep you posted. Now, if you want to make one and freeze it and let me know then that would be fine ! :) Kathy

Verona, ON

Herbie
I too would love to have the exact recipe for the tomatoes and roasted red pepper. Here or at the Recipe Forum?

Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

horseshoe - kidneyguy - have some shopping to do but will put them on the recipe forum when i get back.

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Open Faced Grilled Tomato & Cheese Sandwich

Sliced hearty bread, 1-2 per person
Dijonnaise (mixed Dijon mustard and mayonnaise)
Sliced Havarti Cheese
Sliced Tomatoes, preferably beefsteak
Dill

Preheat broipler. Spread bread slices with Dijonnaise and top with tomato slices. Add sliced Havarti to cover and sprinkle with dill. Place under broiler and toast until cheese melts and tomatoes are warm. Serve Hot.

Spring Hill, FL(Zone 9a)

I may be moving to the Florence,KY area soon. My tomato crop is so-so at best here in the polar region of NY and that does not CUT IT!

Orlando, FL(Zone 9b)

My favorite tomato recipe is sweet baked tomatoes...

2 Tbsp. olive oil (canola would probably work, too)
2 cloves garlic, minced
4 slices French bread, cubed
2 tbsp. butter
4 med./large tomatoes
6-8 large basil leaves, chopped
salt & pepper to taste

Heat oil in small skillet and add minced garlic to oil. Then add cubed bread, stir in the oil to coat the cubes and allow to brown lightly. While bread cubes are browning, cut stem portion of the tomatoes off (I cut stem off in a cone shape). Set the tomatoes in a 2 qt. casserole dish. Place ~ 1 tsp. pat of butter on the top of each tomato, salt & pepper it, sprinkle 1/4 of the chopped basil on each, and top with the bread cubes. Bake in the oven, uncovered, for 15 minutes at 350 F.

When I make this I use almost double the basil (10-12 leaves) and more bread cubes (6 slices of bread). I sometimes make this with roasted chicken and fettucine alfredo with mushrooms. YUMMY!

I got this recipe off the internet. Here are some links to websites:

http://meals.com/search/SearchResults.aspx?kwds=tomato&cat=27

http://www.worldfamousrecipes.com/tomato-recipes.html

http://www.seedsofknowledge.com/tomato.html

http://whatscookingamerica.net/TomatoRecipes.htm (this one has bruschetta recipes!)

Payneville, KY(Zone 7a)

Hey Kikisdad, We have had so much rain in these parts that you might not be able with your tomato plants in Florence this year either. A lot of people have had blight. I am about 3 hrs from Florence. Ours are doing well, but we have had some that didn't make it either. I wish you luck with your move to Kentucky. I moved here 16 years ago from Massachusetts and have never regretted it. The people are the salt of the earth here! (Not that they aren't good in MA, just a different way of living). :) No offense to all my family and friends still in the Northeast :) Love you all.

Happy Day, Kathy @ Misty Meadows Farm

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.