Tomato leaf descriptions...

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Is there anyplace to reference the leaves on tomato plants? My seedlings that got scattered before planting were Brandywine, Joyce's Brandywine, and Old Virginia (I think). I'd like to take a look at some leaves to be sure of what I may be growing, esp. the Old Va.

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Here are a couple of seedlings showing the difference in regular leaf and potato leaf.The PL plant is on the left.

Your Brandies will have the PL,and won't have much difference between the two. I doubt that you'll be able to tell them apart if they weren't labeled.

Is Old Virginia a bi-color? A good amount of those are RL.

I'm afraid that you'll pretty much just have to enjoy the tomatoes this year and not save seeds,unless you have something distinct like Cherokee Purple that there will be no question about when the fruit ripens.

Thumbnail by melody
Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Actually, the Red Brandywine is a regular leaf, not PL, same is true for the Pink Sudduth Strain.

The Yellow Brandywine and the "OTV" is PL.
(The above info take from C. Male's book "100 Heirloom Tomatoes".)

Not familiar at all with the Old Va variety.

Salem, NY(Zone 4b)

Old Virginia is a red beefsteak, indet, regular leaf, variable sized fruits as grown by some, grown by the Giltner family of VA.

There really isn't much difference between Joyce's Brandywine, which Chuck said he selected for earliness, and regular Brandywine; maybe a day or two at most.

So of the three varieties you mention, only the Old Virginia has regular leaved foliage.

Since there are an infinite number of variations on regular leaved foliage, one can't use foliage as a way to tell varieties apart.

Even with rugose or angora foliage there are many varieties that have one or the other.

Carolyn

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.