My Dutchman's pipes

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

I noticed these blooming earlier. The vine is stretched out between two other plants and looks like the flowers are hanging on a clothsline.

Thumbnail by Calalily
Newark, OH(Zone 5a)

Cala, are those like Black eyed susans where there is a regular plant and a vine? I never saw this vine before and it sure is pretty :)
You have any seeds for sale for this one?

Flow, they take 2 or 3 years to bloom from seed and sometimes take that long to bloom from a cutting. These are gigantea, they haven't made seeds this year like the A. elegans does. I think it might be because the blooms are so deep that nothing is pollinating them.

Newark, OH(Zone 5a)

Wow, guess I have to pass on that one until I move to a warmer climate with more space :)
It sure is pretty though and what a reward for waiting so long!!!

Rio de Janeiro, Brazil(Zone 10a)

Flow,
I have seeds of Aristolochia Gigantea Braziliensis.
If you give me your address, I could send you some seeds.
The germination rate was very good last year.
Regards
Lucia

Lucia, the Braziliensis is very different isn't it? Do you by chance have a few extras? I can trade you other seeds for them.
Do you know how to make my Gigantea have seeds? Can I hand pollinate? I have two different plants(unrelated)

Kentwood, LA(Zone 8b)

Lucia, If you have any seed left over I would like to try them.Trade or postage.

Covington, LA(Zone 8b)

I am growing this one--aristolochia fimbriata. The flower is cute and weird. It has grown fairly well and bloomed a lot. It is supposed to attract the pipevine swallowtail to lay, but I haven't seen any. It reseeds and has made a few starter plants. The root is a tuber--a hardy perenniel.

Thumbnail by Flicker
Covington, LA(Zone 8b)

This is A. fimbriata's flower.

Thumbnail by Flicker

Flicker, I just got that one. I can't wait till it blooms.
I have A. durior, the swallowtails love it. I read somewhere they prefer A. durior because it's the native one. It is hardy here.

(Zone 5a)

Cala now I am jealous, it is such a beautiful plant. I never realized that it took so long for them to bloom but well worth the wait.

Flicker this is the first time I have seen this one and I love it, would they be hardy in zone 5?

Wind found this link. It says zone 7-10. http://www.plantdelights.com/Catalog/Current/Detail/03031.html

Covington, LA(Zone 8b)

Calalily, I would like to try A. durior. I'm not sure if it would thrive in our humidity, but I could trade for a few rooted pieces if you have any.
Windsurfer, send me your address and I can send a few seeds. They are coming up readily all over. Protect the plant this first year. Full sun and mist it or it has spider mite problems. Do a google search for more info.
flicker92@ hotmail.com

(Zone 5a)

Cala I'll just have to admire yours, I don't have enough space to grow indoors nor is my growing season long enough to get any blooms. I had thought about buying this plant but gald I didn't.

Flicker, I will have to find some in the woods. Lots of times it lays on the ground and layers itself. Those are the easiest pieces to get. The A.durior I have is growing up my redbud tree. I keep watching it for seeds, but I think the cats eat them!
I'll hint to DH that we need to go hiking. Maybe he won't notice the little plastic bag and hand shovel!

(Zone 5a)

Lol why you little sneak, of course I wouldn't dream of doing such a thing lol.

Mysore, India(Zone 10a)

busybee, you will have a surprise during the course of next week. Right now, there are more than a dozen of these lovely flowers in my two vines. It is a beauty!

Jones Creek, TX(Zone 9a)

Really pretty......I had two of these but lost them to a hard freeze several years ago.....would like to try them again......Mine did bloom the first year I got them but don't know how old the plants were to start with.... :o)

Woodburn, OR(Zone 8a)

These are on the top of my "must have" list for next summer, especially the gigantea! I love them! Thanks for the pics!!

Kentwood, LA(Zone 8b)

Thanks Dinu: and thanks for being such a nice persom.

I tried hand pollinating some yesterday. We will see if it works!

Kentwood, LA(Zone 8b)

beautiful flower calla.
flicker, I am going to have to visit you. LOL

Calla, Busybee, and all DGers
I have several seeds from a pod I collected last year from a huge and beautiful vine. The flowers were bigger than my forearm.
The pod was the shape of a peanut sheel, but 4-5 inches long with MANY seeds inside. It was so ripe that burst in my hand.
The germination rate was very good and I stored the seeds in a dark dry place. So, I believe they are viable. When spring comes (we are in winter time)I will sow again.
My vine is in a container and did not set seeds last year, so I hope this time I will enjoy flowers.
It is said it smells very bad...rotten..
I would love to trade!!!!!!

Lucia, great I can email you a list of what I have now. I'm trying to get my gigantea to set seeds. I tried to hand pollinate, don't know if it worked or not. The gigantea I have has huge flowers that smell of lemons. I was expecting it to smell bad, but it doesn't.

Woodburn, OR(Zone 8a)

Lucia, I would love to trade for a few seeds, I'll have to get a seed put list together! do you have a want list?

Calla, Carena
It will be a pleasure to trade with you.
Please email me your adress.
I am a vine lover and very easy to please.
Kind regards
Lucia

Cedar Key, FL(Zone 9a)

YOU GUYS ARE AWESOME!!!!

I have tried to start those from seeds and it never worked....whats the secret?

Western, PA(Zone 6a)

Every time I order the plant it is sold out. For the last several years anyhow.

CC, I think fresh seed(less than 30days old) start the easiest. I start them by sowing in potting soil, lightly covered and kept warm. They need to be warm to come up.

Cedar Key, FL(Zone 9a)

I was told to pour boiling water on them....it doesent sound right.......

No, doesn't sound like that would be good. Boiling water is used to kill weed seeds.
Hey, I found aristolochia trilobata seeds, they've been out, but have them now. http://www.tradewindsfruit.com/order.htm click on "tropical vines".
Just found a site that says to soak the aristolochia seeds in water for 48 hours before sowing.

This message was edited Saturday, Aug 30th 10:22 PM

Cedar Key, FL(Zone 9a)

What does this mean?
Tropical vine with exotic nepethes-like flowers. Needs tropical conditions for survival

Is northern NY tropical enough for it?LOL

CC, no, you have to bring it into the gh in the winter!
I tried pollinating my giganteas this morning. Hope it works, should know in a few weeks.

San Diego, CA(Zone 10a)

I saw one of these in person yesterday. The picture had not prepared my for how BIG it is. Your plant is just beautiful.

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

I traded with someone in the Canary Isles awhile back. I had to look up some of the seeds and many of them needed hand hot water for 24 hours or to have boiling water poured over them. I know it sounds odd but it does work.

Badseed, that's like some of the Australian seeds, they germinate after fires burn the area they are native to and to get them to germinate you have to simulate that environment.

Jones Creek, TX(Zone 9a)

Pine trees are like that too....the cones are burned causing the seed to be shot out of the pod and germinating where ever it take hold ......... :o)

Cedar Key, FL(Zone 9a)

Susie I was joking....

I just don't know if the GH is too cool for it over the winter,55f?

So maybe I shoulda tried the boiling water....and I wasted all those seeds by trying to be kind to them....all they needed was abuse......

CC, mine survived in my gh and it was 50-55 at night.

Carlisle, PA(Zone 6b)

Aristolochia durior is hardy here in Pennsylvania, zone 6b. Mine flowers but I have never gotten seeds. Guess I will have to hand-pollenate next year.

Thumbnail by Buttoneer

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.