Great butter and hummer plant

Ellabell, GA(Zone 8a)

Y'all just have to grow this one next year. It's the most popular plant I have for the butters and second for the hummers after the Salvia guarantica.
There was about 9 Palamedes Swallowtail on it at that particular time.

It's Coral Porterweed.

Thumbnail by Paintedlady
Austell, GA(Zone 7a)

Wowzer!! Just look at them. Is that a perennial?
Brenda

Oklahoma City, OK(Zone 7a)

Any chance you would have some seeds to share? That's an amazing picture.

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

This is a great plant. I have 2 of them and the butterflies DO love them. That's an incredible picture!

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

Do you think that could be grown as annual? Would it bloom the first year?

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Is it this? http://plantsdatabase.com/go/2392/

Mableton, GA(Zone 7b)

They use LOADS of the purple version of this stuff in the butterfly house in Niagara Falls. The butterflies were mad over it. How is it as a PLANT kris? Did you have this to bring to the roundup?

Orlando, FL(Zone 9b)

I had this one in my garden last year for the first time and it was big hit with the b'flies. Yes, it does bloom the first year in the ground. Unfortunately, it didn't make it through the winter here even in zone 9B. Mulching may have helped, but I was cautioned of it's "tenderness" after I'd bought it. At $4 for a gallon pot (the only size I found), it was too expensive to replace annually. And it didn't reseed itself, unfortunately. It is a wonderful plant, though.

I have the purple one also, porterweed (Stachytarpheta jamaicensis). It is a good draw for b'flies also, but they preferred the red to the purple. The purple does reseed but it isn't agressive (I have 4-5 volunteer plants in the garden after 3 years).

Ellabell, GA(Zone 8a)

It is the plant in Gardenwifes link.
I bought it as a 4 inch plant this spring and it is now about 6' tall and probably 4 to 5 foot wide. It's been blooming all summer.
It is not hardy here, but it roots really easy, so that's how I'm going to keep it over the winter. Next year I'm going to plant a bunch. Me and my flying friends just love the stuff.
I have two more on the swap list, so I can reserve one for you Angie.
I haven't seen any seeds, but I haven't looked for it either.

Mableton, GA(Zone 7b)

I hope it will be okay through the winter in my kitchen. Thanks Kris! :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.