Why are some images rejected?

Northern California, CA

Why are some images rejected on the Plants Database?

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

Up to this point, the only reasons we would reject an image are:
*it didn't load properly,
*we discover it was "borrowed" from another website without written permission, or
*it is of something other than the plant it was submitted for (we've had images of sunsets, individuals, track and field events, etc. - all erroneously submitted by the user.)

At some point, we may need to become more selective in the images we accept, especially for entries that have several images in place.

For now, we ask that users review the existing images before submitting an image. If there are already several images, consider whether your image is of better quality, captures a different characteristic of the plant, or otherwise is different enough to warrant adding it to the entry, as it may eventually replace one of the other images.

If it meets this informal criteria then by all means, go for it! Some entries have rather poor-quality images (or none that show closeups or full length shots); we'd love to see more images added to those entries.

Toadsuck, TX(Zone 7a)

Sometimes their just too big too!!

"eyes"

Denham Springs, LA(Zone 9b)

What if an image is submitted and it is the wrong plant. Is it "quality controlled"? What happens?

We have a three-pronged approach to "quality control" on images.

First and foremost, it is incumbent upon the person submitting the image to verify it is accurately named. (The very first item in the photo submission guidelines spells this out.)

Secondly, to the extent possible (I am but a simple, humble gardener), I try to spot incorrectly named plants before they're loaded. As the error reports will testify, I don't catch 'em all.

The third prong are our members/contributors. I am very grateful for users who take the time to report an error, (either to us or by using the image's discussion thread to question the person who submitted it. And I'm equally grateful for users who, when their error has been pointed out, will let us know that a change needs to be made.

When an image is determined to be misplaced, it is moved by one of the editors. But with 67,000 entries and nearly 45,000 images, more than half the proverbial battle is finding the incorrect image to begin with ;o)

Denham Springs, LA(Zone 9b)

Terry,

The reason I'm asking is because, not only am I a new member of DG, but also in the plant world. Yes, I'm one of the people that is APPROACHING "middle age" and realized that their is a whole other beautiful world out their that I DID NOT appreciate or even notice before!!! lol

So, when I submit a pic from the DB that I believe is one of my plants due to the photo on the DB... It will be safe for me to send???

Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

I just sent up several images of Tithonia rotundifolia 'Torch' and I see that you posted 4 of them 2 of the flower itself and 2 with bumblebees and NONE with butterflies. I wanted to show that butterflies find the plant attractive. What happens to the rest of my pictures?

First, let's note this thread was started nearly two years ago, and a lot has changed at Dave's Garden since then - including a tremendous increase in the volume of images we receive.

When you submit an image, the guidelines state:

Quoting:
If you have multiple images of the same plant and several images have been submitted by others, please select your single best or most unique image to submit. (Close-ups of leaves, stems, roots, and seeds, bark, etc. are helpful and are often lacking from an entry.)

When I have to make a decision on which images to use and which to decline, I will usually choose images that show the flower alone over those that include insects, as our site is frequently used for comparative identification and good, clear basic plant images are most helpful to other readers.

This entry was devoid of images, so I definitely appreciate your contributions - thank you! However, four images are still quite a few for any one entry these days, especially when the images are similar to one another. If you'd like to replace one of the images that includes a bee with one that includes a butterfly, I'd be happy to help you make the switch.

Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

No, it is not that important. I will submit to your original judgement. I am new and did not know how this is done. I thought I had seen lots of images with butterflies and bees included and I was just somewhat surprised to see 3 bee pictures and no butterfly pictures chosen from the choices that I sent up.

I can see why it would be more beneficial to gardeners to have just the plant in the picture.

One thing to keep in mind: we have an annual photo contest that will be rolling around in another few months, with categories for insects, butterflies, etc. as well as various categories for plants.

NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

Felt this thread worthy of some revival ...
for it has provided insight to some inquiries of my own .. and, have been observed elsewhere on the site.

Quoting:
.. we ask that users review the existing images before submitting an image. If there are already several images, consider whether your image is of better quality, captures a different characteristic of the plant, or otherwise is different enough to warrant adding it to the entry, as it may eventually replace one of the other images.

If it meets this informal criteria then by all means, go for it! Some entries have rather poor-quality images (or none that show closeups or full length shots); we'd love to see more images added to those entries.
Quoting:
.. very grateful for users who take the time to report an error, (either to us or by using the image's discussion thread to question the person who submitted it. And I'm equally grateful for users who, when their error has been pointed out, will let us know that a change needs to be made.
Quoting:
.. as our site is frequently used for comparative identification and good, clear basic plant images are most helpful to other readers.

Thanks, guys ...

- Magpye

This message was edited Jul 3, 2006 11:58 AM

Hi Magpye - I'm sorry, but I don't see the connection. This thread was about images; the link is to an announcement regarding nomenclature...can you help me understand what you were alluding to by linking them?

NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

Sure nuff, Terry ...
A simple mistake .. and the above post has been edited to remove the N/A link.

Thank you.

- Magpye

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images