Bagworm?

Pickerington, OH(Zone 6a)

I have some tall spruces that are on my property line. I noticed today (well, a person passing by noticed and stopped to tell me) that they are infested with BAGWORM!!!
One looks like it isn't as bad as the other,still being green all the way to the top, but there are at least 50 bags hanging from it. Haven't seen any of the actual worms.
The other is completely brown on the top 2 feet and has probably 100 bags on it.

Any suggestions?
Can either or both trees be saved?
What do I do? The lady that noticed says you have to get all the bags off. These trees are over 15 feet tall.that will be difficult. But I don't want them to die.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6a)

Zacnick - here's a good article. A bit lengthy, but worth the read as it addresses toward the end the taller tree problem
http://www.oznet.ksu.edu/library/ENTML2/MF728.PDF

Pickerington, OH(Zone 6a)

Thanks, Dea. Excellent article. I think I'll try the natural method, as I have two dogs, and all the neighbors have dogs. Don't want anyone sick.
I think my infestation is pretty severe, at least on the one tree. And I missed the prime period to spray, but I'll do it now and get them again next year and hope.
Again, thanks

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.