mexican flame vine

Woodburn, OR(Zone 8a)

I think these look so cheerful

Thumbnail by Carena
Orlando, FL(Zone 9b)

Wow thats pretty. How big does the vine get?

Newark, OH(Zone 5a)

very beautiful.

(I still haven't forgotten your African Violet :( I'm working on sending it out next week ;)

Woodburn, OR(Zone 8a)

Polar, I think about 10', but this guy is only about 18" tall and it's already blooming like crazy.

Okay Flo, no hurry, it's been really hot here lately and I'd hate for it to cook in the box on my porch.

This message was edited Tuesday, Aug 19th 12:43 AM

Newark, OH(Zone 5a)

Carena, that new camera of yours is awesome. If you get any seeds of those........I never knew those were that beautiful. We're supposed to get new fences soon and I need something to fill them up with so the neighbors have something to look at......LOL

Woodburn, OR(Zone 8a)

I'll see if I can harvest seeds, if not, I can root some cuttings when I bring them inside for the winter

Newark, OH(Zone 5a)

that would be most awesome!!!

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

Where did you find this vine,Carena? I am always looking for different climbers. This is really a great one.

Woodburn, OR(Zone 8a)

I got it from a co-op, I'd be happy to give you one! :O)

Mysore, India(Zone 10a)

Mine was doing pretty well but last week when I went to water it, I found that the termites had bitten off the stem and separated the plant from the roots! I took the cuttings and have planted them. I've to wait and see it this roots out. Lovely plant!

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

What is the proper name for this vine? I love it but
am afraid the seeds would have a different name.

Mysore, India(Zone 10a)

Oh, it gives a lot of shiny silvery seeds, almost like hairs, but I wonder if they are able to germinate. I have heard that it is easy on cuttings.

Mysore, India(Zone 10a)

Oh, it gives a lot of shiny silvery seeds, almost like hairs, but I wonder if they are able to germinate. I have heard that it is easy on cuttings. I put a few of them in the ground and waiting.

Newark, OH(Zone 5a)

African violet is all ready to be shipped in the morning. I put in a couple of extra leaves that you can try to root and another A.V. start of another one that I had

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

Senecio confusus is the proper name. The seeds are sterile, so you will have to start it from cuttings. Just a little info for you.

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Thanks for the info. Calalily-now I will strike this
one off my list :~(!

Covington, LA(Zone 8b)

I live in z8b. Mexican flame vine is hardy here. It dies back in winter but sends out lots of young plants in spring. It really runs. It is easy to make cuttings of.

Georgetown, TX(Zone 8a)

So, Flicker, does that mean you might be willing to share with me next spring? The heat and grasshoppers have once again, for the second time, wiped out mine. I love this vine, and no matter how hard I try, it doesn't survive the enemies here. Last year, I did make cuttings and planted them this year. but lost the vines when the temps soared at the same time the hopper swarmed. I think I will have an enclosed place to keep a vine for cuttings next year. It's the only way to be sure it lasts long enough for me to make cuttings. You're right, they rooted extremely easily. I am just a tad envious of you that they are hardy there.

Newark, OH(Zone 5a)

don't forget me on that cutting now ;)
Did the AV make it there yet?

Covington, LA(Zone 8b)

Aimee, I had that same idea this year. I added a 10x10 ft square gazebo about 5 ft off of my back porch. It is a little hotter than I thought it would be, so I've hung flags to break the pm sun. A friend of mine built 4 - 5'x 24" tables with 2 tiers of hardware cloth for my cutting.
It is attractive, convenient, and easy to tend.
And if either of us remember, we can certainly swap vines!

Oakland, CA(Zone 9b)

Just a note -- I bought one of these, and it's an aphid magnet. Keep an eye on it and be ready with the soap spray!

Georgetown, TX(Zone 8a)

Wow, am I glad for the warning! Thanks, jkom51! I had a terrible infestation of aphids this spring in my kitchen, and was soaping plants nightly to keep from losing them. What was on the cabinet where many of the plants were? Yep, the rooted cuttings of Mexican Flame Vine. I would have never figured this out if you hadn't posted.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.