Not sure what I'm growing dope!

Dayton, OH(Zone 5a)

I started quite a few gourd seeds. With our wacky weather, things got a little crazy and I'm not sure what variety these might be.

Anyone have a good idea?

Thumbnail by Morph
Dayton, OH(Zone 5a)

Wind, do you know what type these are?

I think the one you have here is called the kettle gourd.
These are the ones that make good birhouses.

Maybe this will help you out to identify all sorts of gourds

http://www.gourdgracious.homestead.com/NaturalGourds.html

Dayton, OH(Zone 5a)

Thanks, CoCo! I was sticking to mini gourds/luffas this year with the exception of the snake gourd and the extra long handled dippers. This is a miniature of some sort, but I have no idea what. I thought it might be an egg gourd, but DH says it doesn't quite look like an egg.

Franklin, NC(Zone 6b)

What color were the flowers? If they were yellow, it's probably a smaller ornamental gourd.

Dayton, OH(Zone 5a)

Yeppers, they were yellow, but I am also growing mini-bottles & their flowers are white...

Newark, OH(Zone 5a)

oooh Morph I would love some of those if you get any seeds

Dayton, OH(Zone 5a)

You bet, Susan :) I won't know what to call them though... They should dry faster than the big ones I hope. I'd like to make ornaments for the holidays :)

Newark, OH(Zone 5a)

oh, I won't care what they're called.......LOL
I just like the way they look :)

Franklin, NC(Zone 6b)

Found it!...at least I think so. The description on the first two sites below match. The last link is the only image I could find, but I think the grower got some 'White Egg' seeds or pollen in the mix to get one as round as that.

http://cuke.hort.ncsu.edu/cucurbit/wehner/vegcult/grdcucurbita.html

Pear, White - Vendor: Vilmorin. Characteristics: fruit pear shaped, 3-5" long, surface smooth, rind white. 1885.

http://www.pumpkinpatch.se/Cucurbita%20pepo.htm

White pear: Fruit is pear shaped, about 3“ long and about 2“ in diameter. Surface is white, hard and smooth.

http://images.google.com/images?num=50&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&as_qdr=all&q=gourds+%22white+pear%22&sa=N&tab=wi

Dayton, OH(Zone 5a)

Thanks Agrinerd! I do think that is what this might be, a white egg! One of them is getting a bumpy texture, but all the others are smooth. The weird part is how the top of these form compared to other pictures I've seen of egg gourds.

Franklin, NC(Zone 6b)

Opps, I wasn't too clear on that.

The form you have looks to be a 'White Pear'. That's why it has the little neck at the top. The pictures on the link were labled 'White Pear', but look more like 'White Egg'. They must have gotten the labeling or pollinations mixed up. I just wanted to send you a picture that was close to what you had, even if it was a bit off.

Dayton, OH(Zone 5a)

Gotcha... Thanks for clarifying. White Pear makes MUCH more sense! I'll surf around those sites a little more to see if I see one of those :) Pear or egg, I love them! I'm glad to know, though, since others that get seeds will know what to expect.

Thanks again!!!

Crossville, TN

Morph....will you put me down for some seeds...I don't have that one...and I may want to grow some next year. I have some of the large Kettle gourds that I will send you if you want some. Fairazona bought them for us from a farmer near her. they are BIG! Jo

Dayton, OH(Zone 5a)

No problem, Jo :) Not even sure what I'll try next year ~ I feel like I'm having more success with the smaller ones since they mature faster :) But, I've yet to produce anything but one very basic bird house from the dried gourds I have! I had better get started as the house almost needs a corner to hold all the gourds awaiting my ideas.

Newark, OH(Zone 5a)

Morph, I just might have to take a trip to your house to swipe me some of those gourds ;)

Dayton, OH(Zone 5a)

lol ~ you're more than welcome to stop by. I harvested some today to let some others get the juice pumping through them to get them bigger.

Newark, OH(Zone 5a)

you know after all this surgery stuff that is planned soon or maybe before if it'll be awhile for them to do it, I'll have to come visit you :)
I'll let you know and then you can let me know if it's convenient for you..........can't wait!!!

Dayton, OH(Zone 5a)

You & Kim & all DGers are welcome to come by anytime :) GW, you out there???? She & I have missed each other by a hair this year.

Are you going to be able to come to the Kentucky RU, Susan?

Newark, OH(Zone 5a)

Morph with 2 surgeries that I'm going to be planning soon, the possibility is very slim for the RU

Dayton, OH(Zone 5a)

:~(

Newark, OH(Zone 5a)

now don't make such a sad face :(
cheer up :)
we'll meet each other soon, I promise!!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.