Black or clear plastic for solarizing?

rural, WY(Zone 3a)

I have heard people say each works and the other doesn't. I'm about to go buy some plastic, I'm in a hurry to get use of the last of the summer sun for the chance of a veggie garden next spring.
I have heard black gets hotter but light-needing seeds wait dormant until you take it off, and I've heard clear plastic makes a nice greenhouse for weeds.
I am trying to kill grass, thistles, fireweed (invasive roots) and some wild roses. They have all been mowed flat and let grow for 2-3 weeks.
Thanks for any ideas on this, Dennis

Tellico Plains, TN(Zone 7b)

Dennis,
I have only heard of using black plastic for this purpose,it gets so hot it almost sterilizes the soil.
Hopefully you will wipe out some grubs also. I do not know if any seeds are able to withstand this treatment.
personally........
I use 4-6 layers of newspaper for this and you need to mulch over top of paper ...anything you have to keep the paper down. I use grass clippings and hay chaff. By next spring you can turn it under but I keep it going. When something peeps thru,re-do that area. For planting just clear a spot , this is what I do mostly for flowers but do use this technique in my veggie garden where needed( I even put paper egg cartons under lg plants like squash.Retains moisture and stops weeds.)
Ther was an article by this fella in Australia,he useds anything for mulch,paper,carpeting, jeans...A little too bizzare for me ...LOL >^,,^< SB

This message was edited Sunday, Aug 24th 7:54 AM

Think I'm kiddin'? lol

Thumbnail by scooterbug
So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Great use of egg cartons, LOL!

Dennis, I'm like scooter... use newspaper topped by mulch. To plant in it, I just poke holes down to the soil. It seems to attract earthworms readily.

Worms love newsprint,when saving crawlers or reds for bait I keep them in the fridge[in a covered container] with loosedy crumpled wet newspaper on top of the critters,keeps them alive for many days....UMMMMM..Walleye.
>^,,^< SB

rural, WY(Zone 3a)

Thanks both of you for that idea. I will have to try the newspapers. Dennis

St. Petersburg, FL(Zone 10b)

Dennis_taylor,

Clear plastic will give all of the benefits of black plastic. However, clear plastic does more. It allow ultraviolet energy to enter the soil. Not just heat the surface of the plastic. Once you place your plastic over the area give it 1 to 2 months. This will effectively generate enough heat to kill everything in the top 6 to 12 inches of soil. (The variance will depend upon time-line, where you are in relationship to the equator, and time of year.)
Olds

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.