What gourd is this?

Freedom, PA(Zone 6a)

I have several gourds growing but I'm not sure what this one is. Thanks for your help. Cathy

Thumbnail by cbrandenburg
Cave Spring, GA(Zone 7a)

It looks like an apple gourd. Linda

(Zone 5a)

Your right Merkat it is a apple gourd.

Freedom, PA(Zone 6a)

This thing is huge, I thought apple gourds were the size of apples. Maybe all the rain this summer made these grow so large. The top looks like a apple but its about 11" long and fat. And it's still growing. I did plant apple gourds so I guess that's what this is. Thanks

(Zone 5a)

Mine are like that as well, I don't know what make them take different shapes. Last year I had the regular looking apple gourds and only one that looked like yours but this year they both look like yours. Here is a link to what the looked like last year. http://plantsdatabase.com/go/54003/

This message was edited Friday, Aug 15th 11:18 PM

Thumbnail by windsurffer
Panhandle, FL(Zone 8a)

Those are HUGE!

(Zone 5a)

The ones I am growing this year will get bigger, can't wait for them to dry so I can get started decorating them.

Dayton, OH(Zone 5a)

Nice job Cathy! What type of things do you make with the Apple gourds, Wind?

(Zone 5a)

I only had a three last season and last year was my first time decorating gourds other than the garden swans I painted white.
Here is a link to the first apple gourd I decorated and if you would like to see some of the other ones they are on this forum. http://davesgarden.com/t/365926/ but I think you've seen this one.

Dayton, OH(Zone 5a)

I do remember that! You know, your designs are so good, I forgot what type of gourd you used as your medium.. I still love those ~ did you sell any where you had some on display?

Freedom, PA(Zone 6a)

Well, I'm not sure what I am going to do with these, this is the first year that I have grown most of gourds that I have growing. But I can tell you this, I can't paint. Your gourds are beautiful!! Maybe I'll just paint them to look like an apple LOL. Cathy

(Zone 5a)

I have sold three of the Native American ones but haven't had the time to put them in other sales here.

Thanks Cbran, I am not that good at painting either but for some reason that one turned out ok. I go to the library to get books on the subject I want to paint, they have some wonderful books.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.