Alien Hunter

Stockton, CA(Zone 9a)

Found this guy in my sons insect collection. Very stealthy looking fellow, waiting for a meal to wander carelessly to close.

Thumbnail by NorCalSal
Stockton, CA(Zone 9a)

Another View.

Thumbnail by NorCalSal
Stockton, CA(Zone 9a)

Come closer,...look into my eyes,....

Thumbnail by NorCalSal
Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

What is it? Great photos. It looks scary so close up.

Stockton, CA(Zone 9a)

Hello Poppysue,
This is a Indian Flower Mantis. A tropical species from Asia. In the wild these guys are prefectly concealed with in a flower to sit & wait for a careless insect to wander past.

Castelnau RB Pyrenée, France(Zone 8a)

He's great
Did he catch anything?

San Diego, CA(Zone 10a)

He is an impressive creature all right. Great Pics.

Fountain, FL(Zone 8a)

Wonderful shots!!

Newark, OH(Zone 5a)

That's one scary looking fella

Baker City, OR(Zone 5b)

What a camuoflage job!

Stockton, CA(Zone 9a)

Hello everyone, Yeah, He's a really unique looking insect. This Flowers Mantis is very stealthy indeed. I would sure hate to be an unsuspecting prey item wandering past. I'll post a few pix of him later with prey.

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Neat - I've never seen that kind of mantis before. Great macro shots, too!

Yes, look forward to seeing more :)

Stockton, CA(Zone 9a)

Well, here she is in all her ferocious glory. The mantis patiently sits and waits very still until a prey item wanders too close. Posed ready to strike with lightening like reflexes. Once the hapless prey item is seized, there is very little chance for escape. The mantis meticulously dispatches its prey quickly. Which is good for the prey as it is literally eaten alive. Nothing is left to waste. Such is the way in the animal kingdom. It may seem cold hearted, but the energy from the cricket will help nourish the developing eggs within the mantis. She has done everything she has to do to propagate her species for the next generation
so that the cycle will start all over again.

Thumbnail by NorCalSal
Stockton, CA(Zone 9a)

A very good nutritious meal.

Thumbnail by NorCalSal
Stockton, CA(Zone 9a)

Nothing is left to waste.

Thumbnail by NorCalSal

Great set of photos Sal :)

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

Great pictures! The patterns and colors of this bug are wonderful...

Brewers, KY(Zone 6b)

whatta bug! All we have are the green ones here. I didn't even know they had color like yours! That is one flashy mantis! Great shots...what kind of camera?

Stockton, CA(Zone 9a)

Hi Lisa,
I have own Nikon cameras for as long as I can remember. So when the digital cams came out I naturally stuck with Nikon.
not wanting to give up my Nikon F4 so quickly, I puchased an introductory Nikon Digital camera. All my pictures are done with a Nikon Coolpix 995. The results are great for me. In fact I haven't picked up my F4 in over a year! I really like the results from this little camera. I now have my eye on a Nikon D1. Someday however, as Nikon=$$$$

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

NorCalSal, great pictures, i too didn't realize there is such a color differentation in the Mantid. Yours is very fierce looking. Donna

Orlando, FL(Zone 9b)

I would certainly not want to run into this bug in a dark alley. EEEESH! Very cool looking, though. Our praying mantis is a great beneficial bug that gets rid of bad bugs in the yard. But only a mother mantis could love a baby mantis, that's for sure.

Probably have it for breakfast LOL

Stockton, CA(Zone 9a)

You are so right philomel. Wouldn't hesitate a moment for a opportunity at a meal. Here are a few pics of a local Preying Mantis commonly found in my area. Actually these are and import from China many years ago and established themselves very well here across North America. These are what you would typically find in U.S. gardens.

Thumbnail by NorCalSal
Stockton, CA(Zone 9a)

Another view of snack time. Sure would hate to be a cricket!

Thumbnail by NorCalSal
Ellabell, GA(Zone 8a)

Wow! Those are cool photos.
Has anybody noticed the little guy with a top hat sitting right between the eyes of the Flower Mantis?

Pioneer, CA

Wonderful photos!! I live in Pioneer, about an hour and twenty minutes from you, and have never seen this Mantis. I will certainly be on the lookout though. Last year I had a Praying Mantis in my garden and loved that little thing!
What wonderful creatures!

Stockton, CA(Zone 9a)

Hello Paintedlady,
When I first took that picture I noticed the 3 little spheres & pointy hat between the Flower Mantises eyes. I don't quite know what they are or what there purpose is. I'll have to do some research to find out what they are exactly. My hunch is that they are another set of eyes or some sort of motion detector to help zero in on prey?

Dguimo, Hello! Nice to hear from someone so close to me. I have a friend who lived in Pioneer that I haven't seen for many years. Don't know if he's still up there or not. Nice area up there.
The Flowers Mantis is from Asia. The other Mantis is locally caught while out hiking. They are very common around here in gardens and in open fields. Mantises are very unique looking insects indeed. Almost alien-like but then all insects have that alien like appearence.

That's probably what comes of wearing their skeletons on the outside LOL
;)

I look forward to hearing the verdict on "the little guy with a top hat sitting right between the eyes of the Flower Mantis"

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Are mantids more intelligent than other insects, or is it just their uncanny way of staring and cocking their heads? They seem so smart!

Pittsburgh, PA

Species 8472

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.