New Greenhouse Takes Shape

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Well, its been a year since the foundation went in.

Last weekend with help of several family and friends the truss' got stood up. Weez was starting to loose hope that the building season would pass us by again.

Will have it painted and dried in by next weekend . As you can see the old greenhouse on the right, weez is going to have alot more working area.
......................The old tomcat......Dennis.........

Thumbnail by Weezingreens
Cedar Key, FL(Zone 9a)

WOW,its so tall,are you gunna grow nanas?

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

Oh. Weez... Lucky you! Looks like you'll have lots of room. Well, for a while anyways ;) I bet you're excited.

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

It doesn't look like Dennis is going to answer this thread, so I will! Yes, Poppysue. You're right... lots of room, for awhile! Right now, I can envision so many different work stations, etc., but as time passes, I'm sure I'll be squeezing myself between plants and work tables, grumbling about needing more space!

Bless the Old Tom Cat's heart for working so hard to make my little nursery business survive. Besides getting the new greenhouse going, he mixes potting soil for me, takes care of the compost, etc., and even cooks dinner when I am busy outdoors. He's a keeper!

Baker City, OR(Zone 5b)

It's looking real good Weez, what is the covering going to be? Your roof trusses are really steep, good for the snow to slide off. You had a nice day for the greenhouse work party, I see one of the workers thinks it's still summer there or is he one of those Polar Bear Club types?

Edmonton, AB(Zone 3a)

How many months of the year will you use the greenhouse? Your experience might be very close to our area. Keep us posted on how its going.

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

MaryE: Yes, a Seward, Alaska sunbather! Actually, it was in August and the weather was hot... at least hot to us. If it gets above 70F, we all start stripping off clothes. It's not a pretty sight.. we're all white as jellyfish! We will be using some special greenhouse visquene for the time being, hoping for lexan later... if it will let in the UV's.

Jagonjune: We use our greenhouse in the early spring through late summer. We haven't had the opportunity to use the new one yet, but our little one is usually in service by April 1st, with an oil stove to keep it warm. I'm hoping the new one will take the overflow, as our little one gets very full of green babies by May 1st. We don't try to keep the greenhouses going after freeze. It's too expensive to keep them heated... maybe someday we'll have natural gas here and we can do that! Ah, well, the freeze helps to kill off any bugs that might want to settle in!

We've been so busy around here that we haven't had much time to cover the greenhouse. We did hire someone to level the gravel floor, though. Here's a picture I took in early September. It certainly shows how much larger the new greenhouse will be compared to the old one!

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

Awesome! I want one too!

You are gonna be in plant heaven working in there. It looks huge! I'm so happy for you.

Baker City, OR(Zone 5b)

Weez, I remember when we lived at Ketchikan one time the temp got to 83 and people thought they were dieing, I was loving every minute of it. The locals made up a card showing people in rain gear out on the street shielding themselves in fear from that strange bright thing in the sky. With 170 inches of rain a year, usually comming sideways you can emagine that the sun was a strange and unusual sight. I know that chalky white skin! My gardening there consisted of 50+ houseplants and a little box covered with visqueen that held a few small tomato plants beside the driveway. They didn't ripen so were finished wrapped in newspaper in a box in the house and we had a tomato now and then in the dead of winter.

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Hmmmm, stark white Alaskans running around half naked? Weezi that ain't a pretty picture! LOL I am so happy you are getting that greenhouse. Someone with so much determination and passion for growing, should by all means have it made just a tad easier! I wish you the best of luck, spreading flowers all over Alaska!

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Thanks, Badseed! Yes, we're not a pretty bunch in hot weather, and we consider 80F to be sweltering around here! At 70, nobody gets heat stroke, but we have to strip down a bit. Most of us wear sunglasses to avoid the glare off all those pale legs and arms! Yes, I'm a passionate gardener! Fortunately, I've got an old clawfoot bathtub awaiting me at the end of each day! I know the new greenhouse will make many things easier, but I also know I'll soon have it filled up... I just can't help myself. We'll see how it goes next spring.

MaryE: Oh, Ketchican has a much milder winter, but much more rain than we get. It's sure some beautiful country there, but probably much easier to live there if you appreciate the natural beauty. Trying to buck the weather can be very frustrating. I can hear what you are saying about the tomatoes! Folks would laugh if they could see how shamefully grateful we are if we get a red tomato around here. We'd probably slice cherry tomatoes just to get a taste! We can sure grow brassicas, though... like cabbage, cauliflower, broccoli, kale, etc.

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

I'm frying some bacon! Send me that!!!! Do you eat it like that ever??? Yum yum!!!

Stockton, MO(Zone 6b)

What did you feed that thing? lol That is a beautiful cabbage!

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

Weezin, it looks like you're getting it up just in time - when do you get your first average snowfall? (It's gotta be here pretty soon...ugh!)

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Badseed, I've never tried frying bacon and cabbage, but it sure sounds good. I have sauteed onions, chopped cabbage and fresh mushrooms together in the pan drippings when I cook pork steak... man, we're talking grease here!

Thanks, Skyeblue. Cabbage is one of those veggies that is always a success story here.

Terry: We've had a few cold mornings in the 30's, but we aren't usually starting winter around here until October, and our snowiest months are in the early spring.

Stockton, MO(Zone 6b)

Weez, a real favorite of mine is to cook up some ground beef or sausage, when it is almost done, add shredded cabbage and carrot. (I go light on the meat and heavy on the veggies). Season with a little salt and pepper, and serve in a warm flour tortilla, smeared with a little sour cream. Yummy!

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Sounds great, Skyeblu. I'll have to give it a try!

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

What time should we come for dinner?? That sounds GOOOOD!

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

Skyeblu, wrap that in some bread dough and bake it, and you'd have a Runza :o)

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Then stick it in a box and mail to me and you'd have a happy seed! LOL slobber slobber droool drooooool

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Wonderful cabbage concoctions! I've got about 5 small heads of cabbage in the fridge, so I'll have to give these recipes a try!

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

What time?? What time??? LOL

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Badseed, if I fix cabbage for supper at 7pm, you'd be eating it at 11pm your time... I don't know about you, but that would keep me awake alllll nigggght looooong!

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Honey, I am pregnant! I spend half of every night awake anyway. LOL

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.