Anise Swallowtail Caterpillars

Stockton, CA(Zone 9a)

These guys do get big really fast! Non-stop eating machines.
I wish I could locate other Swallowtails to observe. I seen seen a pair of Western Tiger Swallowtails while out hiking today but no luck locating any cats =( I think I'll hunt for some Pipevine Swallowtails next week.

Thumbnail by NorCalSal
Stockton, CA(Zone 9a)

Here are a few More of this guy.

Thumbnail by NorCalSal
Stockton, CA(Zone 9a)

Last One.

Thumbnail by NorCalSal
Ellabell, GA(Zone 8a)

Great photos!
Good luck in your cat hunts. It is hard to find cats of swallowtails that feed on tree leafs, they are so high up.
If you find pipevine cats, please post photos of them and also the plant. I'm desperatly trying to find my native kind, but don't really know what it looks like.

Celaya, Mexico(Zone 10a)

Nice Pictures and happy hunting.
I'm currently taking pictures on the growing stages from eggs on of black swallowtail cats (Including pictures on the demise of my Cilantro, Parsley and Dill plants LOL).

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

Beautiful photographs, Sal. I love the colors and patterns.

Stockton, CA(Zone 9a)

Thanks all for your kind words. I hope I have better luck locating the Pipevine Swallowtails. Atleast I have 2 comfirmed reports of their host plant so the PVS's have to be near by. I will definately take alot of pix when I do locate it. Would anyone here drive over a hundred miles just to look for butterflies or am I just nuts?

Crossville, TN(Zone 7a)

No, not nuts at all. You can order native species I believe, raise them yourself and release.If you'rte lucky you might be able to find some sort of butterfly organization that would give you some. To eventually release into the wild. If you are really into it though, when you do find your cats, raise them and keep them. Breed them and release the babies.Keeping butterflies is very easy. ~good luck huntin` cats~tsavo.

Ellabell, GA(Zone 8a)

NorCalSal, Your'e not nuts! I would do the same thing to if I got a report of something happening 100 miles away.
Looking forward to your photos.
Kris

Stockton, CA(Zone 9a)

Here's an update on the Anise Swallowtail caterpillers. They are no longer Caterpillars! Yeah!

Thumbnail by NorCalSal
Stockton, CA(Zone 9a)

Also found this little guy while out hiking yesterday. First instar of the Anise Swallowtail Butterfly. Cool!

Thumbnail by NorCalSal

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.