Carnivores for Mitjo

San Diego, CA(Zone 10a)

We went ot Balboa Park to the science center this weekend and took a walk to the Botanical Gardens. Low and behld an exibit of carnivorous plants and me with no camera. The kids and I returned today to get some pictures for you. They do not do justice to how big they are or how BAD they smell. LOL

Thumbnail by frogsrus
San Diego, CA(Zone 10a)

Dixie lace picher plant. Only about 6" tall

Thumbnail by frogsrus
San Diego, CA(Zone 10a)

Nepenthes Several varietys

Thumbnail by frogsrus
San Diego, CA(Zone 10a)

Nepenthes. The "Pitcher" is about a 24 cm or so long. They were amazing to see.

Thumbnail by frogsrus
San Diego, CA(Zone 10a)

A real beauty. If I were a fly, I would pick this one as my last sight on earth. I will post more tomorrow. I so not want to go over my alloted number.

Thumbnail by frogsrus
Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

Frogs, these pictures are wonderful. I love pitcher plants. I have had a small one that somehow survives the winter and then is very happy outdoors while the weather is warm. I want to find out how to grow some like you've photographed indoors. I don't think they would be hardy in zone 5b winters. I saw a picture frame made of rough wood and it had dried pitcher plants and moss hot-glued to it. It was stunning.

San Diego, CA(Zone 10a)

I am going to try to get back on a morning when the marine layer is still upon us. The light was terrible for pictures of the hanging plants (not to mention too many people.) It is hard to get a grasp of how big it was and I really want a decent picture of the blooms. Here is one.

I have never tried too hard to grow them here. No green house. It is too dry outside. These are all American plants though. Would you like me to write down all of the names for you when I go back?

Thumbnail by frogsrus
Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

That would be great! Thank you so much.

Lappeenranta, Finland(Zone 3a)

Hey, Thank You, those are really neat.
Yeah, I know, some of them really have bad smell...heheh.

Just thought that do you want any seeds?...Of these?

San Diego, CA(Zone 10a)

You actually grow these monsters? I had never seen ones as large as these.The only thing I have tried is the basic venus fly trap, with no success. The only one I ever kept for any time was hidden among ground cover where it seemed happy. Do you have one that doesn't require a swamp? They had a small swamp -also odorous - for these plants. We have an average rainall here of 9" so are short of swamps!! I can always try.
(I finally got the shirt and will go to the PO today or tomorrow.)

San Diego, CA(Zone 10a)

Malodorous swamp wit the most delicate of carnivores.

Thumbnail by frogsrus

Well, now I just have few Nepenthes left. I had many Droseras, Sarracenia, Dionaea (Venus Fly Trap).

Well, you could grow those just in pot. And use rain water to watering them......And the soil must be peat, and Sphagnum moss...
Window sill is fine but if you have somekind of old aguarium you could use that...
Send email to me...And tell you addres so I could send you some...heheh...

This message was edited Wednesday, Aug 6th 11:18 AM

San Diego, CA(Zone 10a)

Could I use spring water or old fish tank water. Got no rain water ;(

Sure you could. That's fine. Or just normal water whose you have boiled at first.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.