African Daisy, Cape Daisy, Spoon Daisy '(Nasinga Series) Nasinga Purple'

Garden City, MI(Zone 6b)

Common name: African Daisy, Cape Daisy, Spoon Daisy '(Nasinga Series) Nasinga Purple'
Family: Asteraceae
Genus: Osteospermum

Plant Link: http://plantsdatabase.com/go/54501/

Thumbnail by Phaltyme
Bend, OR(Zone 6a)

What an absolutely striking flower. I love the colour (but then I love purples), outside of that the shape is so eye-catching. Wonderful photography... BRAVO...

Cochrane, ON(Zone 2b)

I just love the spoon-shaped osteospurmum. Of course the purple colour helps too. Great photo.

Cleveland, OH(Zone 5b)

WOW!!! Remarkable color!!! Very nice shot!

Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

Outstanding!!!!

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

Incredible detail! Reminds me of those slow-motion Disney films of a water drop splashing.....really awesome.

Houston, TX

Incredible! This is my new favorite flower!

Dearborn Heights, MI(Zone 6a)

This is my Mom-in-laws pic and it has NOT been touched up, enhanced or anything! Just the right flower, the right light, and a good photographer!

Lake Toxaway, NC(Zone 7a)

Too Cool! Did she raise it from seed? Also, where did she get the seed?

Clay Center, KS(Zone 5b)

Absolutely fantastic! Love the purples and blues.

Monroe, NC(Zone 7b)

Probably just my misreading of the plant database but it looks like it is rated for tropical zones only, and you are hardly there! I assume that the database only lists zones people have named. I would love to grow it in NC, zone 7a/b.

Peter

It is only hardy in the 3 zones listed. She bought the plant at a garden center. It is an annual here in Michigan.

Newark, OH(Zone 5a)

wow, would love to have a couple of those seeds, that's just strikingly beautiful

Harrisville, MI(Zone 5b)

Welcome to Daves!What a great flower!!

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

add me to your list of admirers ..how grand this photo is!

Oh, thank all you dear people for your wonderful comments. I really wish everyone could have a flower like this one. I was lucky to get this particular one, it had the best color when it bloomed.

Yes, here in Michigan, they don't overwinter. I do have one that came up this year and is blooming--a white daisy style. I was very surprised.

Thanks again, Phaltyme

Flowox, the PDB says it is not good to try to raise it from seed, but don't know why. If anyone has a source out there, let us hear from you.

Garden City, MI(Zone 6b)

This picture is featured in the February, 2004 issue of Popular Photography magazine. I am ecstatic.

It was posted on Megapixel.com and seen by the people from the magazine, they contacted me and there it is.

Cranberry Twp, PA(Zone 5b)

Wow!
Mouthwatering color (and photo)!

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Beautiful photo. You should be very proud!!

I am still waiting to find out where I can get it.......

Garden City, MI(Zone 6b)

To woodspirit1---I originally found these plants at a couple of local garden stores in pots. There are several different ones and this one is the most spectacular one I've seen. They are all attractive and very easy to grow. I am in Zone 5A so I treat them as annuals, however, I had a whole bunch come up from seed last year. So, in the south they would probably winter over quite easily. To my knowledge, they've only been in this country about 3 years. That was one of my first ones. Good luck on finding them. Oh, yes, they don't like growing in pots for the summer.

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

Beautiful bloom and magnificent photography. My father was an award winning photographer. This shot is of his caliber. Super job.

Thanks for the tips. I will look for them......

Adrian, MI(Zone 5b)

I first noticed Osteospermum in a Mi. State test garden a few years ago. It wasn't this one, but it made me aware of the family.They are all beautiful! There is peach and an orange and others that are great companion plants to the purple. Here it is treated as an annual and last year there were quite a few varieties in nearby nurseries. I used some in containers in full sun and they were outstanding!Great garden plants too.
Bonnie

Fishkill, NY

Wow!!! Fantastic photo. Delicious colour. I would love to grow these. I will begin the search to obtain seeds.

Co. Cork, Ireland(Zone 9a)

Great picture, Phaltyme. The colour is amazing. I missed the original post of it and its great to have caught it this time around.

Lincoln, NE

A totally beautiful picture of a beautiful flower! I will add it to my non ending list of must haves!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.