Hydrangea macrophylla, "Summer Beauty"

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

I love the mophead Hydrangeas! This particular one started out pink and now is changing to a pinkish green color.

Thumbnail by Shirley1md

This is a close-up of Hydrangea macrophylla, "Summer Beauty", in June.

This message was edited Sunday, Aug 3rd 11:03 PM

Thumbnail by Shirley1md
Panhandle, FL(Zone 8a)

Lovely! My mother loves hydrangeas more than anything. We have one blooming a lot this year and the rest are just babies. Do you have a lot of them around your garden?

Thanks "weeds". I love Hydrangeas too. Here are some that I have in my garden.

Hydrangea macrophylla, "Summer Beauty"
Hydrangea macrophylla, "Pia" (Dwarf, about 2-3')
Hydrangea serrata "Preziosa" (Dk. maroon stems, 4-5')
Hydrangea quercifolia (Oak Leaf), "Snowflake" & "Snow Queen"
Hydrangea anomala subsp. Petiolaris, Climbing Hydrangea
Hydrangea ??? (brand new one & can't remember it's name)

Those are the ones that I have. I don't think they are a lot, do you?

Panhandle, FL(Zone 8a)

Heck no! At least you know the names of yours, we got ours at yard sales and from neighbors. You can never have too many of anything you want. Now repeat that.

Well, I try to tie a tag around each with the name of the variety. Otherwise, they would be called Hydrangea #1, #2, #3....

True, one can NEVER have too many plants!!! Especially, Hydrangea! Wonder how a Clematis vine would look growing through them....hmmm! Think I just put a great idea in my head!

Would you like me to try layering any of these for you? If so, any in particular?

Panhandle, FL(Zone 8a)

Oh my, tell me about these two:
Hydrangea anomala subsp. Petiolaris
Hydrangea serrata "Preziosa"
My mother really wants a climber. Do you have any variegated ones? I have some small ones so don't know what the bloom will look like.

Kingston, GA(Zone 7b)

Ohhh Shirley and weeds---can I step in here and say pleaseeeeeeeeeeee me too? lolol I love hydrangeas too. All I have tho is the un-named old fashion hydrangea and recently got a un-named Oakleaf hydrangea for my gardens this spring. I love even the foliage on them. :)

Panhandle, FL(Zone 8a)

CB, I will layer you one and sneak it away from my mother.

GREAT! Weeds!! We'll try to identify it.

CB, can you post a picture of your Hydrangea? Do you know what variety it is? With the Oakleaf Hydrangea, do you have a double looking flower or single? Yes, the foliage especially on the Oak Leaf varieties are beautiful, especially in the Fall.

Here is a description of Hydrangea serrata "Preziosa" and Hydrangea petiolaris, the Climbing Hydrangea.

"Preziosa": A unique variety with flowers resembling the mopheads but smaller. The plant can have flowers varying in color from shades of pale pink and lilac to red and even violet, all at the same time. Even the leaves vary in color, light green, darkening at the edges, with red veins. Dark maroon stems add to the color contrasts. In late summer to fall the blooms dry to a brilliant red over dark foliage. (Late Summer Color) 4-5’.

Climbing Hydrangea: Relatively slow growing while it is young, faster as it matures, it climbs by holdfasts like ivy. The leaves are attractive dark green and the flowers resemble the blooms of a white Lacecap. Perfect climbing the trunk of a large tree or a masonry or wood wall.

BTW, when it says that climbing Hydrangea are "relatively slow"....that is an understatment! It takes it a couple of years to get established and begin filling out. By the 6th or 7th year, you will finally begin to see the beautiful flowers!

Kingston, GA(Zone 7b)

Ohhh thank you weeds---you are so kind to do this for me. I appreciate it very much. You can tell your Mom that it will have a very good home. :) I can't wait to meet you at the Oct. GA. Plant Swap.

Shirley---I will try to take a pic of my old fashion hydrangea tomorrow. It didn't bloom this year for some reason. But in the past, the one at the house bloomed big round heads of pink flowers while the one I have out in the yard bloomed big round heads of blue flowers. Both plants came from the same mother bush about 10-12 years ago.
The Oakleaf I got in a trade in the spring and it was small then and has only got about 3' tall now. It didn't bloom this year and I assumed it would be next year before I would see any blooms from it. I will try to get a pic of it too. You might know from the pic if it would be a double or single bloom. I can't wait to see the bloom myself.
I love the description of the "Preziosa". It sounds very very pretty. The climbing hydrangeas I have seen at our Home Depot but they were so expensive for a 3 gal. pot and of course they didn't have any smaller. The people at HD upset me tho--they had let the pots dry out and the vines were laying half in the pot on a pole and the other half laying out on the hot eement to burn. Of course their rule is that if the plant dies or doesn't look like selling material---throw it away. And that always upsets me.

I will gladly repay you both for starts of your hydrangeas. Just let me know what kinds of plants you may be wanting or looking for and I will check around to see what I can find for you. Please let me know. I really appreciate you both.

Panhandle, FL(Zone 8a)

Shirley, I will try and get a picture of my variegated for you to see. It is still small, just kinda sitting there. I will root you one if you want it. CB, maybe I can bring one for you to the swap..if it is rooted.

Weeds & C.B. - I got the Climbing Hydrangea as little plants about 8-10yrs. ago. They took forever to start growing. Probably they were establishing a well developed root system. After about 3yrs. of just "sitting there", finally, they started growing. Plus, I gave it several feedings of acid fertilizer which really helped it start putting out a lot of vertical and horizontal growth. It is growing on the North side of my split rail fence, which receives part-sun and stays moist, which is important for hydrangea.

I'm looking forward to seeing pictures of both of your Hydrangea.

The easiest way of propagating Hydrangea is by making a small nick in the host stem. Then laying the still attached stem down on the moist soil, covering the "wound" with peat or sphagnum moss and then laying something heavy on top, such as a rock. Within about 6-8 wks., you should have a rooted Hydrangea!

Yipee, I can't wait to add some more Hydrangea to my collection! Have you all seen pictures of Hydrangea, "Limelight"? It is beautiful with its lime-green flowers, which is different than the "traditional" ones.

Don't have any variegated Hydrangea either. Can they withstand more sun to make their varigation more prominent? Is the bloom white? I would think that it is grown for it's beautiful foliage, as opposed to its flowers.

Panhandle, FL(Zone 8a)

Shirley,
Here is a pic of the baby variegated. Don't know it's name, hasn't bloomed yet and lives in mostly shade with some sun in the afternoon. I found one already rooted for you.

Thumbnail by weeds
Panhandle, FL(Zone 8a)

Here is a close up of the leaves, maybe you can help idenify it.

Thumbnail by weeds
Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

Hydrangea petiolaris is very slow, I moved a rooted piece of it from my other place 8 years ago, and only this year is it beginning to show much growth. At the other place it was beautiful growing up the side of a cement building. Smelled wonderful too. Now at this place where I know the soil is much more alkaline it is not particularly happy. This sp;ring I bough Hydrangea petiolaris "Miranda" a variegated leafed one. it was in a 1 gal. container and i think was $9.00, it is in the shade and is showing some new growth so I hope may bloom next year. Donna

Thanks for identifying it, Donna. I don't know anything about Hydrangea petiolaris. What color and type of blooms does it get? Does it flower on old or new wood?

Kingston, GA(Zone 7b)

Shirley--I got pics of my old fashion hydrangea and of my oakleaf (the bugs have been eating on this one when I wasn't looking *boohoo*--it has holes in it's leaves). My problem now is that when I tried to download the pics on the puter the camera told me my batteries were low. So I am charging the batteries up now and will try to post the pics in the morning.

GREAT! I'm looking forward to seeing them, C.B.

Panhandle, FL(Zone 8a)

Shirley or anyone, have any idea what the name of the variegated one is?

Nope! I've been racking my brains and also checking the Hydrangea sites through the Internet. Yours is green/white varigated leaves and I only found a varigated Hydrangea that had green/yellow varigated leaves. Obviously, not the correct one. I'll keep looking.

Panhandle, FL(Zone 8a)

Ok, thanks, have you one rooted but can't send for a month when I can get out there again.

If it would stop raining long enough for me to go outside and root some Hydrangea for you....hopefully by this weekend....suppose to be drier.

Panhandle, FL(Zone 8a)

Don't hurry, the later the better for me.

Kingston, GA(Zone 7b)

Shirley and Weeds--here is a pic of my big old fashioned hydrangea out in the yard. Let me know if the pic is good enough to identify it.

Thumbnail by CountryBumkin
Kingston, GA(Zone 7b)

And here is my poor bug eatened Oakleaf hydrangea. Shirley, can you tell what type it might be even tho the bugs had supper on it?

Thumbnail by CountryBumkin
Panhandle, FL(Zone 8a)

I had 4 oakleaf hydrageas for 2 years that grew and bloomed and looke great and this summer they all DIED. We have no idea why and they were not all in the same place. Heartbreaking.

Kingston, GA(Zone 7b)

This is my first Oakleaf ever so I will be learning about them as this one grows---but first I need to teach the bugs to go eat their supper somewhere else. LOL
I hate you lost yours weeds. It really hurts when you lose a plant you have watched grow for so long.

Panhandle, FL(Zone 8a)

Yep, the worst part is I have no idea why. THey were doing so well. Maybe I am too far south for these particular ones or who the heck knows.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.