Odd ball

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

This is Herbenstreitia dentata. Fist time I've grown it. It's interesting :)

Thumbnail by poppysue
Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

I haven't decided if it's a keeper yet. I can say... it's a tough one cuz it's been totally neglected where I planted it.

Thumbnail by poppysue
Grove City, OH(Zone 6a)

"interesting"???

Oakland, CA(Zone 9b)

Oh, I think it would be really pretty mixed in with something colorful, like anagallis monellii or some bright red poppies! It has just the right structure to set off other plants.

Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

Poppysue--Jk is right!! Bright red poppies would be great with those. (I happen to be planting some poppies so I checked the PDB on your Herbenstreitia dentata to see what it's requirements are--and it's not in there!). What the specifics on it? Can you add it to PDB? Thanks!

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

Here's PDB entry http://plantsdatabase.com/go/57637/ I don't know alot about it. I bought the seeds from Chiltern's. It's native to South Africa. It has fine , needle-like foliage and the flowers are arranged on spikes. I've planted it in dry clay and it seems to be handling it well, although it's not as tall as some of the references state. It would make a good filler plant combined with other annuals. I'll try to collect seeds this fall.

Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

Thanks Sue! I musta typed the name in wrong in the PDB! I'd like to try some seeds if you're successful in collecting them and have enough to share.

Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5a)

I like the looks of it. Might be nice as an accent plant.'
Height?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.