squash beetles

East Barre, VT(Zone 4a)

I just joined today, and haven't figured out searching the site yet, so I'll just post. Does anyone have an organic solution other than hand-picking to get rid of squash beetles? I've lost both winter squash plants completely, and they are now eating the flowers of my summer squash plants so that the flowers don't germinate and the squash just rot. I'm really sick of handpicking, and have too many other graden tasks to accomplish in the little time I get in after work.

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Howdy Leisurlee! A bigtime welcome to DG!

A good soap spray, with rubbing alcohol added will do a number on those squash bugs! You can add some garlic if you like but it is more for repellant than for killing.

My favorite way to trick them varmints (squash bugs) is to go down the row and water the plants with a sprinkler hose, all over! The squash bugs hate to be wet, so will climb to the top of the plants to dry out in the sun. Once they are up there, profiling(!), they are perfect targets for the soap/alcohol spray! You will hear yourself hollering out loud, "take that, you varmint!"

Again, welcome to DG...you're gonna love it! τΏτ

East Barre, VT(Zone 4a)

thanks Horseshoe. It's pouring like crazy right now, so I can tackle them when it stops.

I'm amazed at this site. I know I'm gonna love it. I appreciate your suggestion. I'll let you know if I win!

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Hehehe...Git them boogers! Sic 'em! :>)

Humansville, MO(Zone 6a)

Shoe have you ever tryed this on flies They get bad enough in the barn that i have to spray but use wasps in in the manure pile and when i move it to the pile doesn't help the wasp

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

nope, never tried it on flies before. There was a thread somewhere here a short time back tho about dealing with flies. Things from hanging bags of water to fly traps I think. (The hanging bags of water apparently look like wasp nests and the flies stay away.)
If I find it I'll post back here. Perhaps a search for "flies" will bring something up.
H.

St. Petersburg, FL(Zone 10b)

We have an open air resturant here that hangs zipped bags of water. I here to tell ya the fies are far and few between!
Olds

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.