My Annuals Around Town

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

I have a small greenhouse business, and every spring I donate flowers to local non-profits, as well as sell baskets to local merchants. Mid-summer, I usually make the rounds with my camera to see how they have done. It always seems the flowers do better for someone else, so I'm always glad to share. Here is a picture of some of the plant stands at the Senior Center.

Thumbnail by Weezingreens
Panhandle, FL(Zone 8a)

Hi Weezingreens, I have a question for you. I don't expect you to know the answer but I have about 15 people wanting to cruise/railway through Alaska. Do you have any suggestions? We have been looking but nothing seems to fit what we want.

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Hi, Weeds. We have cruise ships docking almost every day in the summer here in Seward, but they don't encourage passengers to spend time in town. It's pretty much an assembly line sort of thing. Here's a site for the Alaska Railroad: http://www.alaskarailroad.com/passenger/?source=google You could always fly up and rent a motorhome or vehicle of some sort to tour around. Alaska has such friendly people, you'll have a good time.

Panhandle, FL(Zone 8a)

Thank you Weesingreens, I will look at that. If we end up near you, may we visit?

Panhandle, FL(Zone 8a)

Oops, didn't mean to intrude.

Grove City, OH(Zone 6a)

Weez, I love the photo! Got more to share?

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Yes, Weeds, if you are in my neck of the woods, I'd be disappointed if you didn't stop by. You'd love the Kenai Peninsula... so scenic!

Yes, here are the baskets I put together for the Downtown Business Persons Association.

Beautiful displays WZ! I love the colourful hanging baskets and trough, I didn't do any of mine this year (haven't done a lot of gardening at all) so it's great to live vicariously through someone elses plantings *G*

Oh also my email's been acting up with some addresses recently, did you get mine last week?

Grove City, OH(Zone 6a)

Beautiful, Weez!

Got more to share?

Panhandle, FL(Zone 8a)

Those are gorgeous, you have many talents.

North Vancouver, BC(Zone 8a)

those are gorgeous, Weez!!!!!!!! wonderful colour! Elaine

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

These are the flower boxes in front of the National Park Service down in our Small Boat Harbor... another problem area due to wind and salt spray. The little paludosum daisies are holding up well.

Grove City, OH(Zone 6a)

I really like those!!!!!!

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Yes, those little daisies bloom all summer under most conditions.

Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5a)

Weez, I like the way your gardening talent is brightening up your town! Do you get any extra business from people who see your creations?

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Thanks, Wanda! The Downtown Businessmen Assoc. has already ordered the baskets for next year, but I doubt many people know who did the baskets or supplied flowers for the beds. Still, it gives me lots of satisfaction. Last year I supplied flowers for the beds at the post office. There is no home delivery in Seward, so we all go to the post office to pick up our mail. This spring, I often referred to the flowers there when trying to explain what my young plants were going to look like later in the summer. Here's a picture of some of my Shirley poppies at the P.O. last September

I so love poppies! Haven't found the right place to establish them yet. Mom always grew her California Poppies next to & into her irises. My Dad & brother came in proud of themselves--they'd pulled all the "thorns" out of Mom's Iris beds!

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Yes, poppies always offer a lot but require so little! I start mine indoors every spring to get an early start, but it would be fun to have a spot for them so that they could self seed. I don't know if our season here is long enough for that to work. My dad loved to grow vegetables and he always had a row or two of flowers, as well. However, I don't recall him ever weeding in Mom's flower beds. I'm sure he'd have pulled up a flower or two, if he had!

Well, my hubby is worse! I don't even let him mow. One day he took an interest and told me he liked the "pink flowers " in the front flowerbed. "Those are tulips!" I said. That's whay i don't let him mow!!!! LOL

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.