Finally!

Burlington, ON(Zone 6a)

I have baby Swan Neck and Dipper Gourds.
Question now is: will they have time to mature?

Cave Spring, GA(Zone 7a)

Hope so, let's hope for a late frost, Linda

Burlington, ON(Zone 6a)

Thanks. :)
This SN and Dipper Gourd have grown so quickly in this past week that there may be hope!
Here is the Swan Neck Gourd [the hand is for perspective]

Thumbnail by RA49
Burlington, ON(Zone 6a)

Here is the Dipper Gourd.

Thumbnail by RA49
Cave Spring, GA(Zone 7a)

Wow, if they keep growing like that, there's a chance they'll make it:)

(Zone 5a)

Nice looking gourds you have there and I do hope they get the chance to mature...good luck.

Dayton, OH(Zone 5a)

Keeping my fingers crossed for you RA! I think you'll have a good harvest ~ when does the earliest possible frost hit your region? I'm in zone 5 so I think you're better off than me!

Burlington, ON(Zone 6a)

Not sure about the frost date for here but both these gourds doubled in size again over this past week! I could be happy with them as they are now so they can only get bigger and better from here on in I figure. :)))))))))))))

Dayton, OH(Zone 5a)

That's great news!

Burlington, ON(Zone 6a)

Here they are today. I don't think I will be able to take anymore pics with my hand there for perspective, I need to get farther away now to fit the gourds in LOL.

Swan Neck

Thumbnail by RA49
Burlington, ON(Zone 6a)

Dipper

Thumbnail by RA49
Dayton, OH(Zone 5a)

Those are very impressive, RA :) They sure did take off fast from the last pictures!!!! I am so happy for you!!

Burlington, ON(Zone 6a)

Thanks Morph.

Jacksonville, IL(Zone 5a)

I was wondering...do you pick the gourds when you hear that it might frost, or do you wait until after the first frost? That first one is usually a light one. This is the first year I've grown gourds. Thanks.

Burlington, ON(Zone 6a)

My understanding is : if they are anywhere near ripe, the frost will not hurt them. A fellow down the street from me left his on his vines all winter last year and they dried splendidly.
I stop watering my vines about the end of September. This aids in reducing the water content in the gourds I have read and starts them on their way towards curing. I also leave them hung outdoors on trees until they are light (yes even when there is frost) and relatively dry before I bring mine in. Good air circulation is essential to the drying process and by hanging them, there is no bruising that would allow any deterioration on the skins.

Jacksonville, IL(Zone 5a)

Thanks for the information, RA49. I think I'll just leave them outside and see what happens.

(Zone 5a)

Those are some nice looking gourds you have there.
My swan plant is doing find but every time they produce a little gourd the darn cucumber beetle comes along and kills it, little greedy buzzards!

Burlington, ON(Zone 6a)

After I made the above post I went out today and picked 2 Birdhouse, 2 Dipper and 2 Swan Neck gourds.
It was 55 F here last night, these gourds were all a good size and I am hoping that by picking them, the others on the vines will have a chance to grow better. [ I feel like Noah, collecting things 2 by 2 :)]
I have them hanging in those mesh bags oranges and onions come in down in the GH with the ceiling fan going to circulate the air. When they are a little bit lighter I will take some pics and post them.

Dayton, OH(Zone 5a)

RA, I did the same with my smaller gourds to let the others get some juice and grow bigger. Hope it works as well. Did you decide to stay for another year??? I do hope so!!! I'll have to post an updated picture of my two snake gourds & my long handled dipper. I haven't picked those as I REALLY want them to do well ☺

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.