blood lobelia for hummers

Monroe, NC(Zone 7b)

A recent Better Homes and Gardens article on hummer flowers gave a lot of space to blood lobelia. It is beautiful. Does anyone have any experience with this plant, or with other lobelias as hummer attractors? Would you favor growing from seed, buy one and divide later, etc.?

Peter

This message was edited Friday, Aug 1st 11:19 PM

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

pdkrones, I don't know which lobelia is the Blood L. I grow L. cardinalis, which likes lots of moisture and has really red flowers, and the hummers like it. However mine is always late blooming, not quite in bloom yet. I did buy the plant.I have other lobelias and I think the hummers like most of them.

I haave lots of hummingbirds this summer.Have 5 or 6 hummingbird feeders around the house, so they can't see all of them. Some are very territorial , especially Rufous males., I make up 5 lb. sugar into nectar weekly. There are at least 30 hummers. Have only a couple of pairs of Rufous, several Black Chinned, and lots of tiny Caliopes.

there aren't as many Orioles right now, maybe they are starting their migration. the biggest problem is all the wasps and hornets also trying to get a drink at the feeders. The Orioles chase the bees away but the hummers don't like them and go to another feeder. I have sprayed Black Flag hornet and wasp killer on to 6 nests in past couple of days and there are still lots of bees. Donna

Montgomery, AL(Zone 8a)

I have never heard of blood lobelia, but hummers really like lobelia cardinalis, which is a native plant to the southeastern US. There are several red hybrid lobelias that can be grown from seed or purchased as a plant, but the native one is the best.

Monroe, NC(Zone 7b)

I am glad to know that the cardinalis is native to the S.E. U.S., which is where I am! The blood lobelia is lobelia tupa, and from what little I found snooping the web, it is more successful in the Pacific N.W. while not tolerating our heat. (Might be something to look for in Washington.) So I am going to be looking for the cardinalis, plant or seed!

One other question- anyone have other suggestins for lobelia varieties good in the S.E.? Sounds like the nonhybrid native is great, but variety is the spice...

Thanks!

Peter

This message was edited Friday, Aug 1st 11:21 PM

This message was edited Friday, Aug 1st 11:22 PM

Cedar Key, FL(Zone 9a)

Its also native in the NorthEast,cause I have it growing all over the place,its not as tall as the hybrids,maybe 2 1/2 foot.....

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.