terrarium

Cedar Key, FL(Zone 9a)

I'm assuming it goes in this forum

Any one have any suggestions on how to.......

I have this little orchid thingy that they say grows best in a terrarium.What else can I put in with it?????

Mableton, GA(Zone 7b)

Stuff that stays small! lol I put a spider plant in mine once and I had to clip the ends of the leaves every week. *eyeroll* bad idea

Harrisville, MI(Zone 5b)

Ohhh CC,I love them,do you had good stand hardwood that you can get moss?try to find a 20 gal aquarium to start,then you will need to get a mix for the bottom,soil and charcoal, so it does soil does not sour,a piece of Plexiglas as a cover,bang you have a terrarium!the possibilities are endless,I'm sure we have experts here that can put up some examples and better info,this will be a great thread to see,hope they give better info then I did,I may have to try again.
Ps,moss to cover the soil.

This message was edited Tuesday, Jul 29th 11:10 PM

Cedar Key, FL(Zone 9a)

I was told(by a nursery) not to get stuff out of the woods cause its not sterile...LOL

Georgetown, TX(Zone 8a)

I would have to agree, CC. When I have gathered moss and leaf mold from the woods, I have had a lot of trouble with dampoff and other diseases. But there are precious few sources of safe materials, so maybe solarizing or baking it would kill problem organisms. Or would it also kill the very spores you need? And how do suppliers render it safe without killing it?

Crossville, TN(Zone 7a)

I've always gathered my plants from the wild, even mixed them with store bought species. Never had a problem, sorry you did Aimee. :(. When you get your plants why not make a waterfall in the terrarium!...that's what im workingin now,hehehe.aqua/terrarium! Ive got minnows and a gold fish in a small tank. I had an old pump laying around...i am going to make a seperator, "out of glass or plastic" that way i can have land with water. There are many articles online that can guide you through the set up process, even giving you a list of miniature plants too!..........this is a very fun subject! LOL. Been doing it for many years, very fulfilling! You MUST post pictures when you're "done"! hehe, excitedly yours, tsavo! (((Hugs))) Wonder if dave could add an "aquascaping" forum to the list......think anyone would use it other than me?! :O...LOL!

Dallas, TX(Zone 8a)

I was sort of thinking the same thing. I want to put a small lake in the middle of mine and was wondering if I should just "paint" the lake a nice blue, or actually take a very short dish of some sort and put water in it. I would bring the dirt up to the edges of the container of water so that you could not see it is a container. I was thinking of using the little clear saucers you sit your plants in to keep the water from going everywhere. But what I was wondering is if the water would get all "yucky". I would not want that. I'm still debating what to do with that. But I'd love to hear more ideas from the rest of you. Crimson, a water falls sounds really neat. I have a fountain of a mountain setting with a little chapel sitting at the top and a waterfall. I never use it and I could put it in there I guess. I'm not sure if it will be too big or not. But thanks for giving me that idea.

Jesse

in Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Jesse,
You could use a mirror to simulate a lake, and put plants around the edges.
Patti

Missouri City, TX(Zone 9a)

Rose that's a good idea! Hadn't thought of that.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.