YELLOW IMPATIENS??

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

I was talking to a lady at a local gift shop (and praising DG) when she told me that a nursery brings really unusual plants to our local farmers market each week. She said she bought a yellow impatiens there. I said I had never heard of a yellow impatiens and she said her mother said the same thing but that's what she bought. I encouraged her to post a photo on DG; in the meantime, has anyone ever heard of a yellow impatiens?

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

Impatiens repens: http://www.rareflora.com/impatiensrep.htm

or

a hybrid Impatiens 'Seashell Yellow': http://plantsdatabase.com/go/53659/

Either one is pretty unusual :)

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

Terry, thank you so much. They are unusual and really pretty. I've added them to my wish list. If I only had more room I would beg a cutting and winter it over. *SIGH*

Kearney, NE(Zone 5a)

I bought African impatiens seed from Burpee this last spring. It is yellow with an orangy throat. The flowers are shaped like snapdragons. They were expensive with a very low germination rate. I have a couple of plants in bloom now. I'd better try to overwinter them.

Grove City, OH(Zone 6a)

I had those a few years ago. I love the African Explorer series; I am able to buy them at a local nursery that specializes in unusual annuals. I had a yellow and an orange, both were pastel, rather than bright colors.

They over-wintered fine, and the following year they grew so much bigger than the kind that I have been developing that I let them die. They grew to more than 24" high and across.

I think I will get them again next year, though, because I have more shady area available to grow them. They are really worth it! Especially if you have the room. They are very easy to root cuttings in the fall to over-winter.

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

LL, which nursery did you get them from?

This message was edited Thursday, Jul 31st 6:30 PM

Grove City, OH(Zone 6a)

Dill's Greenhouse :) Same place I get my salpilglossis and annual phlox and tithonia and mimulas and... LOL they have such incredible unusual annuals!

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

LL, I am really going to have to start going to Dill's in early spring...seems like I never get there until late in summer and this year I don't think I am going to get there at all. I am going to make a note on my wish list....Dill's for salpiglossis and yellow impatiens. Thanks!

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

My Seashell Yellow was really pretty in the spring, but mine(and those of several friends) did not perform well this summer. I like the African ones better.

Franklin, NC(Zone 6b)

Does anyone know what species 'Seashell Yellow' belongs to? I remember when the USDA first started fiddling with the New Guinea collections, they couldn't get I. repens to cross with anything else but itself.

Antrim, Northern Ire, United Kingdom(Zone 8b)

here is my yellow Impatiens. I dont know which one it is

Thumbnail by mark
Horn, Netherlands(Zone 8b)

I have Impatiens noli tangere..these are yellow too.

Lake Toxaway, NC(Zone 7a)

If anyone has more cuttings than they need, can I get a few? I will have some lavender bee balm to trade.....

Bensenville, IL(Zone 5a)

Terry, on the first link it shows them as a perrenial, wow! NoH2o I love these too and actually could not remember their name until I finally seem them and of course purchased quite a few because they do spread out nicely thru the season, seem to be hearty! I'd like to acquire this yellow one being it's a perrenial, does anyone have a catalog they can referr? Haven't seen any around here either. Thanks! Denise

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.