clethra alnifolia

Murrells Inlet, SC(Zone 8a)

I saw one of these blooming in a garden a few days ago and had to have one. The variety was ruby spice and the smell is intoxicating.Today I located and bought one.

Chaplin, CT(Zone 5b)

I bought 2, too. I read about the wonderful scent and aren't they tolerant of shade and moisture? I haven't planted mine yet.

Murrells Inlet, SC(Zone 8a)

Seems as though I read somewhere that they are tolerant of shade and moisture and can take full sun as well. There is also a white variety but I like the ruby spice better. Mine is still in the pot also. Hopefully it'll get planted this weekend.
I live in Murrells Inlet, South Carolina just about 5 minutes north of Brookgreen gardens if you're familiar at all with that. If not it's one of the largest outdoor sculpture gardens in the states as well as growing every imaginable plant that you can think of. I visited there this past friday with intown relatives and that is how I found the clethra. As soon as I saw it I got the name and started looking for one. Not only was it pretty to look at in bloom but the fragrance was awesome.
I don't have much shade in my yard so mine will have to go in the sun. My only shade is supplied by 2 HUGE pine trees that I hope to have removed before we have another hurricane. We had a minor wind storm about 2 weeks ago that managed to break some good sized limbs from them so they must go before they do some real damage to my house.
Good luck with your clethra. I also remember reading that they are acid loving plants.

Chaplin, CT(Zone 5b)

catsmeow, I probably won't plant mine for 2 more weeks, but I can see the flowers are trying to open and the pink is shtarting to show. I wasn't able to find the white, I think they are a taller shrub.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.